Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Need some input

Need some input

Hello,

I am looking to purchase my first dslr in the next couple months and I need input on what will be best for me. I love photography and right now I feel so limited with my p&s. I find myself missing so many moments with my 2 year old especially. My shutter speed is too slow, he turns his head to fast, he doesn't hold his smile long enough, it is just barely too slow. Plus, when I do get a good shot, the quality looks not great. I really feel so limited and it is really frustrating to miss these shots that I see and want to capture but don't have the capability to do so. I am working with a budget of max $1300. Here is what I will primarily use the camera for:

-#1 taking portraits and candids of my son and our family. I really want to be able to do professional quality portraits and photos.
    -Some scenery pics
    -Just capturing what our family is up to, trips, site seeing, playing in the backyard, etc.
    -Video if I get the d90
    -I use photoshop elements for my editing, and will not be able to upgrade my software anytime soon.

I am looking at the xsi and the nikon d90. I have used the canon xti and enjoyed it. Found it very user friendly and liked it okay. Photo quality is important to me. I am not sure which camera will fit my needs the best, while allowing me to grow as a photographer. I won't be able to upgrade for many years so I really want a good investment for my needs. The only thing that keeps drawing me to the d90 over the xsi is the hd video. I bought a camcorder about a year ago and hardly ever pull it out, I do however take video using my p&s a lot because it is handy and I am always taking pictures. So it is not a deal maker or breaker, it is just a perk that I know I would use...and yet I have a practically new camcorder sitting there collecting dust. I don't know what to do. Plus, I would love to buy a zoom lens as well, but the d90 will be breaking the budget and I don't think I will be able to buy an additional lens. With the xsi I would be able to buy an additional lens. So I know that is a lot to chew on...but any suggestions as to what which may work best for me? Also, I have tried the xsi at the store and liked it, I haven't had a chance to try the d90. I have tried out the d80 and d60 and I liked them okay even though they were a little more heavy. So I am just confused. Like I said #1 on my list is to be able to take nice portraits and candids. Thanks in advance from a confused newbie who just wants to get started!

Re: Need some input

Welcome to the site!

given your criteria, I'd suggest the xsi. You won't miss most of the advantages that the d90 has, perhaps just the video. If video is a deal-breaker then sell the camcorder and use the proceeds to fund the d90

For your candids I'd suggest the 50mm f/1.8. It's dirt cheap and a great lens for indoors, candids, low light, and general photography.

50mm shots here, among other places

I would also upgrade the kit zoom to whatever the canon middle-tier zoom is. You won't need a pro level lens, but I think you will appreciate the added quality and speed of a mid-tier standard zoom (probably in the 18-70 range, would be my guess). Since I don't know a lot about the canon line, I can't narrow that down further. You should still be around the $1300 mark though, most of the upgrade zooms run about $400-600 depending on system.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Re: Need some input

Thanks for the input. The video is definitely not a deal breaker, it was just a nice perk! However, like I mentioned, I just want some nice clear quality photos that help me achieve my photography goals. It is so fun to me and I love to try and capture those pure moments, but my p&s just isn't cutting it. Also, the biggest I would ever print would be like 11x17 so hopefully that wouldn't be a problem. Thanks again.

Thread Information