Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Using Lens from a 35MM camera?

I am looking at getting A digital Rebel and am wandering if the lens from the 35MM rebel would fit and work on the digital one? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Using Lens from a 35MM camera?

Yup, all Canon EF lenses will work on the Digital Rebel. If it fits on your film Rebel, it will fit on your DRebel.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Keep in mind that most digital sensors are smaller. So this means it "crops" out portions that film would normally see (the viewfinder still represents what the sensor will see), so it'll have a slight "cropping effect". This will feel like a magnification effect if you happen to take a shot with a film SLR, and a DSLR, same lens, and create the same sized print. But, this is thinking way too far into it. It'll fit, the viewfinder still represents what the picture will be, etc.

Thank you for the help. I appreciate it.

Although some claim that digital cameras are more sensitive to chromatic aberration than film ones are. Honestly, I don't know how badly, or if it's just hype to sell lenses designed for digital cameras. If it's a longer lens, it'll prolly have the ELD or SLD glass already in there to reduce it anyways. Easiest way to tell? Go to a store, bring your lens and a compatable memory card. Ask if you can try it out.

Ugh

Quote Originally Posted by cubed033
    I am looking at getting A digital Rebel and am wandering if the lens from the 35MM rebel would fit and work on the digital one? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Yes it would fit. Yes it would give you pictures. Yes you would be happy with the results at first but after a while you would probably want a lens that was better suited to your camera. Two reasons:

1. Your 28-90mm (for example) kit lens is suited perfectly to your film Rebel as a general-purpose lens. It goes from mild wide-angle (28mm) through normal (50mm) to mild telephoto views (90mm). Put it on a digital Rebel and you find you don't get the same view. It's as though you had multiplied the focal length by 1.6 (cropping effect of smaller sensor). You no longer have a general-purpose lens. The effective view goes from normal (28x1.6=45mm) through to medium telephoto (90x1.6=145mm). You've lost the wide-angle view that is so useful for landscapes and tourism.

2. Digital sensors are pretty demanding on lenses and the Canon film kit lenses are not rumoured to be top performers. You may find that your images lack something and that they go blurry when you make big enlargements. Even the 18-55 kit lens that comes with the Digital Rebel is supposed to be better.

Charles

Here's a hint, try it out. If you notice black lines near the edge of the lens begin to split into red, green, and blue, then it's not going to work out well. Besides, does Canon even sell the Digital Rebel XT body only? I think you'll get the lens anyways.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Yup, you can get the XT body only for $700 @ B&H.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Go figure, I searched everywhere but B&H, and I came to the conclusion that it wasn't for sale.

Thread Information