Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Need LENS help

Need LENS help

I purchased a Nikon D80 a couple years back. I like the body, but the lenses that come with the camera I am not a big fan of.

So I need help picking out a lens, not really sure where to start. I do NOT understand all of the options for lenses and what is good quality.

This lens will be my "everyday" lens if you would. Something I can keep on my camera ALL of the time to take most of my shots. I hate taking 4 different lenses with me on vacation too so this would be my vacation lens.

~ Quality - I want it to give out the highest quality pictures possible.
    ~ 18-100mm (ish) It does not have to be exact, just something close.
    ~ Brand does not matter. As long as it works on the D80 body.
    ~ I want to spend under $1000 (can be used as long as it is in good shape)

So what lens EXACTLY should I look into purchasing?

Thank you all, sorry if this is a noob question that is posted a ton around here.

NSSA/AIPS

Re: Need LENS help

To probe further, do you shoot in low or difficult light? Meaning will you need a large aperture like f/1.8 or f/2 often? or will a variable aperture like f/3.5-5.6 lens be fast enough? Is size and weight an issue? What lens came in the kit? What are you most likely to be shooting using this lens as your walk around? These are things to consider as you think about where you're headed.
    Off the top of my head, the 16-85mm AF-S Nikkor makes a good walk around, the 18-135mm AF-S Nikkor is supposed to be one of the sharpest of the 18mm family of "kit" lenses, and is due to be updated soon to VR technology. I have an older 18-135mm siting in a box since it duplicates focal lengths of my other lenses.
    Some folks swear by the 18-200mm Nikkor. I would read up on the pluses and minuses of "super zooms" if you start looking in that direction. Have a look at Johns reviews here, also take a stroll around the DPreviews site.
    There is a lot to be said for a one size fit s all solution, but also looking at a solution that uses two or three lenses to cover that range more accurately can have it's advantages.
    My primary lens load is a Nikkor 16-85mm 3.5/4.5 AF-S DX VR and an old skool Nikkor 80-200mm 2.0 AF-D. I only use Nikkor at this time, simply by choice, no other rational. So I am in no position to comment on other brands.

In summery, you're likely looking at "pro-sumer" grade lenses, good enough for pro work but aimed at the every day user. You probably want image stabilization, (VR in Nikon speak), and watch the small end of the aperture, as some lenses rated at F/3.5-5.6 head for that f/5.6 aperture rather quickly as one moves to longer focal lengths.
    It's not about the camera....

I'd personally choose something like a 24-70 f/2.8 or the 28-75 f/2.8. Sacrifice range for speed and quality. No 18-Xmm lens can come remotely close to those in quality, and the fast f-stop is especially useful. Another thing is that those 18-XXmm lens are almost always (can't think of an exception) built for an APS lens, which is fine and thats what you have. But, the 24-70/28-75 being built for full frame will give you a sweet spot advantage, which is a major optical benefit. At 18mm, APS lens have pretty typically terrible border performance.

If the wide matters more than the telephoto to you, Tamron makes a 17-50 f/2.8 that has most of the same benefits (except its also an APS lens). Very fast, excellent quality.

In my opinion, f-stop range matters more than focal range.

Hope that helps.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Nikon 18-200 vr,
    You won't get prime lens sharpness but it beats most zoom lenses in that range.
    The vr gives you the option to shoot at slower shutter speeds than is normally possible without a tripod. I've shot 1/15 with good results and proper breathing. Haven't tried slower yet.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Just talking about what I have, these would be my preference:

1. 18-200VR. This is the worst-performing lens of the bunch - but not by much. If I look at a 8x10 inch print really closely then I can just about see a difference in sharpness. I try to use it between f8 and f11 where it's best. It's sharpest at the wideangle end and starts getting a little soft towards 200mm. The versatility offsets the slight loss in performance. When I don't have it I miss it

2. 16-85VR. Performnce is constant at all focal lengths and apertures. Plus it feels really solid, like the 28-70 f2.8

3. 28-70 f2.8 (10 years old, predecessor of the 24-70 f2.8). This lens has the best sharpness, colour, contrast and general look. But the difference with the others is slight. When I make a print it certainly doesn't stand out from the others. I use it in poor light when I need to freeze subject movement and avoid autofocus hunting. But it doesn't have VR which is a handicap in poor light with static subjects. Plus it's big, heavy, expensive, etc.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

THANK YOU so far for the posts. I will answer a few questions first.

Lighting - no big deal. I shoot mostly outside and have travel lights for inside work.
    Weight - no big deal. As long as it is not some massive beast I can handle a heavier lens.
    Use - Travel. Mostly vacation pictures. Super zoom not really important, quality shots of the two of us together. Also have a couple nephews, I like have a good lens on there when they are around which is fast enough to capture them when they are playing and what not.

Here are the lenses that I have now:
    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G 6G ED II AF-S DX
    55mm - 200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR
    Nikon 70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6 G AF-S
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D-AF LENS - NI5018DAF

I keep the 18-55mm on the camera most of the time. The quality is very low, the plastic feels cheap, it seems fairly slow, the I just do not like it.

I will get rid of one or two of these depending on my selection this week.

As of right now I am considering one of these for my "all in one" lens to keep on my camera all of the time and to travel with.

Lens 1

Lens 2

Lens 3

Lens 4

So would this be a good selection or are there better models to consider? Which of these would be the best QUALITY? I will read the reviews of the models listed so far.

I am really new to this and just really starting to figure it all out. I am enrolled in a class at my local college (starts Sep) so I can actually learn how to do things the right way. Right now I keep the camera on AUTO and just point and shoot. I want to really understand the concepts and get good with this equipment.

Once again THANK YOU all.
    Last edited by tprep77; 07-08-2010 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tprep77

Weight - no big deal. As long as it is not some massive beast I can handle a heavier lens.
    Use - Travel. Mostly vacation pictures. Super zoom not really important, quality shots of the two of us together. Also have a couple nephews, I like have a good lens on there when they are around which is fast enough to capture them when they are playing and what not.

Here are the lenses that I have now:
    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G 6G ED II AF-S DX
    55mm - 200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR
    Nikon 70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6 G AF-S
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D-AF LENS - NI5018DAF

I keep the 18-55mm on the camera most of the time. The quality is very low, the plastic feels cheap, it seems fairly slow, the I just do not like it.
    I use the Nikon 18-55 non VR and Sigma 55-200 with my D60 when I'm on vacation or for anything risky. Good performance, small, inexpensive - OK the lenses don't feel good but I don't have to use them all the time. I can understand you saying you can cope with heavier lenses

Some massive beast = the Nikon 28-70 f2.8. It unbalances the body. It feels fine with the battery pack on my D300, this is really a combination I can hold on to and all the controls are just under my fingers. But it's a big combination that I use for an assignment like a wedding, not for walking around all day.

You don't define what you mean by "quality" but this is how I would rate the lenses you mention:

Nikon 24-120VR = does not have a good reputation for optical performance. It's intended for a camera with a bigger sensor (the D700)
    Nikon 18-200VR = Feels a bit lightweight in construction, especially at the tele end with the long tube extended
    Nikon 16-85VR = Feels rock solid, very heavry for it's size. This lens is intended for professionals and I think it's what you want
    Tamron 18-270 = Never tried it but it seems to me that Tamron are pushing the limits too far with such an extreme zoom. At f6.3 the Nikon autofocus is not supposed to work any more (but it does)
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information