Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: 0.42x adapt.

dzd

0.42x adapt.

Hey all this is my first post and I did my best to search for the answer but i'm new to SLR terms so maybe I didn't search for the right thing.

I just got a nikon D3000 with the 18-55mm kit and an additional 55-200. This is my first SLR so its just to wet my appetite. I have been experimenting with different techniques and am interesting in trying to get the Fish Eye effect, but with out the price.... therefore I searched and found this 0.42x adapt which I could mount on my exsiting lense and play with how the different focal lengths affect all the little settings. NOW, I know this is not the purest way to go and it is not a perfect solution, but does anyone have any suggestions on a specific adapt for under say 100 bucks hopefully 50 to 80 that I could mount to my 52mm thread and play with the affects of what a fish eye lens would give?

or does anyone have any other method in which I could go out and experience the wideangle/fisheye for very little money?

thanks in advance

dzd

Re: 0.42x adapt.

whoops forgot the link

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Cam...itemid=2989885

something like this???

These lens adapters obliterate image quality, CA (chromatic abberation) is a problem common among lower end lens, which creates colored fringing in areas of high contrast. You can expect these adapters to have abysmal CA control. Using it outdoors, you can expect trees and anything that contrasts the sky to have purple/yellow/blue fringing all over the place. You can also expect enormous distortion problems (where shapes become bowed), much moreso then any standard ~ 10mm lens.

18mm at 0.42x would be 7.5mm equiv. You attach that to a kit and at 18mm you would probably see the entire image circle.

under $100 though - tight fit, I don't think much of anything else could get you shooting fisheye in that budget. Nothing I know of anyway. That 0.42x might be a fun toy, but nothing serious.

The 50mm f/1.8 is one of the best and cheapest investments one can make into a beginning slr system, AND at under $100, but that is a far cry from fisheye...

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

You can do it in photoshop. Under filters in elements, you can use the "correct camera distortion tool" or go to the distortion tools and use "spherize".
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    These lens adapters obliterate image quality, CA (chromatic abberation) is a problem common among lower end lens, which creates colored fringing in areas of high contrast. You can expect these adapters to have abysmal CA control. Using it outdoors, you can expect trees and anything that contrasts the sky to have purple/yellow/blue fringing all over the place.
    To a degree, but I think that its one toy that's worth what it cost for experimenting. A similar thread on wide angle I just tossed in the trash the next day but saved the macro part for a magnifying glass. But the Opteka thread-on gadget I plan to hang onto until I buy a bonafide fisheye lens.

What I gleaned from this experiment was that such a wide angle made it challenging to keep my feet or the tripod legs out of the frame. And I didn't like the way the tops of evergreens were merged together at the top. The bent trunks were interesting, but not the merge of the canopy greenery.

This image was cropped from one circular shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0.42x adapt.-fountain800_fisheye.jpg  
    Last edited by mdvaden; 10-30-2010 at 06:41 PM.

The conclusion I came to, was to skip a circular copy for my first fisheye. Although I can see getting circular eventually.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0.42x adapt.-windmill800.jpg  

One more with the Opteka .20x thread-on.

Went to hike at the redwoods, and arrived in Eureka around midnight. It was so tranquil, so I stopped and parked in front of the Carson Mansion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0.42x adapt.-carson_house_800.jpg  

Thread Information