need help digital slr

Printable View

• 07-20-2005, 07:00 PM
    hobbsphilly
    need help digital slr
    Hello,
    I am going to buy my first digital camera. I have looked and looked and it all seems so very exciting if I can getmy head to stop spinning.

Anyone have suggestions on a first digital slr. My price range is between 300-350.
    Any help would be great.
    Thank you
  • 07-21-2005, 12:18 PM
    tijean
    Re: need help digital slr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbsphilly
    My price range is between 300-350.

Someone may be able to suggest something used, but I can't think of a single new DSLR in that price range. Both the Canon 300D and the Pentax *istDS has dropped to just above $600 with their respective kit lenses. That's about as cheap as is available right now.
  • 07-22-2005, 06:22 AM
    another view
    Didn't realize that they were that low, actually. The only DSLR's I've come across in that price range are some of those ancient (like almost ten years ago!) Kodak DSLR's built on the Nikon N90. They're about a foot tall, no LCD, about 1-2mp, far from state of the art... I really wouldn't recommend getting one of those unless you want it for a museum piece.

In that price range, there are a lot of good fixed-lens cameras out there. Or maybe a film SLR makes more sense. Just depends on what you want to do with it.
  • 07-23-2005, 12:29 PM
    photoclassic
    If you can wait a month or two, the new Dynax/Maxxum 5D from Konica Minolta looks like it will give some serious "bang for yer buck". I believe it is going to be priced at a similar level to the Nikon D50 and Canon 350D but it has "body-integral anti-shake", which is almost as good as image stabilised lenses costing thousands.