Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Need a DSLR

Need a DSLR

So I am in need of a digital SLR. Here is some background info; I have a PNS for general snapshots already. I'm coming from having a decent collection of lenses for my Canon 35mm SLRs. I still have a pair of EOS3 film cameras that I use often. So, a Canon DSLR is the obvious choice.

I don't have a ton of cash to spend on a body at the moment, so a 5D or higher is out of the equation. But, I could afford either a 30D or a Rebel XTi.

I know the build design of the 30D would better mimic my current bodies, but is it worth the extra cash? I am aprehensive about it's lack of auto dust cleaning. So, the XTi looks interesting..... but it of course doesn't have a spot meter and is known to underexpose some tricky subjects (although ths is almost moot if you know it's habit ahead of time and can compensate).

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: Need a DSLR

I'd say 30D unquestionably. Auto Dust Cleaning in the XTi from many user reports I've heard is not extremely effective, and there will still be dust spots that *will* require a wet cleaning.

the 30D is just a *better* camera IMHO.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Thread Information