Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Need a camera YESTERDAY!

Hi,

What are your opinions on refubished cameras? I am a poor soul but desperately want a Canon Rebel XSi body and a 70-300mm IS USM lens. Adorama has a refurbished body with a 90 day warranty. Should I?

Kristine

ackkk... nevermind. LOL I just bought it.
    Last edited by SARtech; 01-25-2009 at 10:25 PM.

Kentucky Wildlife

Re: Need a camera YESTERDAY!

I think you'll like you Canon, and especially the IS lens. To me, a refurbished camera from Adorama is a whole lot safer deal than buying a used camera from an individual. I've dealt with Adorama a lot and have been very satisfied.

Re: Need a camera YESTERDAY!

Quote Originally Posted by SARtech
    Hi,

What are your opinions on refubished cameras? I am a poor soul but desperately want a Canon Rebel XSi body and a 70-300mm IS USM lens. Adorama has a refurbished body with a 90 day warranty. Should I?

Kristine

ackkk... nevermind. LOL I just bought it.

Take a look at these discussions from pro photographer groups for a view on buying refurbished:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=480482
    http://photocamel.com/forum/canon-fo...shed-lens.html
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=434757

....and this review from the Adorama website

http://www.adorama.com/ICA40DKR.html

Buy refurbished from now on!
    By Matt LaVoie from Kansas City, KS on 1/3/2009
    Describe Yourself:
    Photo Enthusiast
    Bottom Line:
    Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
    Comments about Canon EOS-40D Digital SLR Camera with 28-135 IS USM Lens - Refurbished by Canon U.S.A.:
    I'll review the "Refurbished" part of this sale since there are plenty of reviews for the camera elsewhere.This was received in official Canon packaging, and arrived in the exact condition as if it were brand new, with the small exception that the box was a different Canon box and had a 'refurbished' sticker on it. Otherwise, the camera and lens were SPOTLESS. I immediately reformatted a card in it and took a picture- it was numbered 0020 - so this camera had no more use on it than a brand new camera would have. I've had it about a month and it is fantastic, ZERO problems at all. You would never know this was 'refurbished'. I will always buy items refurbished by Canon from now on because it saves so much money and you sacrifice nothing! [...] So no worries! BUY REFURBISHED. Don't even think of wasting a few hundred dollars more- that money should go toward new lenses!

All Refurbished products come with a 90 day return to Adorama warranty.
    14 days from date of receipt for a full refund, and the balance for Repair or Replacement.

Some refurbs will be ex-store demos. Others will be cameras that have been ordered in error and returned to Adoramas. Adorama can't then sell them as 'new' so they have to be sent them back to the manufacturer for checking over.

A Refurb item will have been checked by the manufacturer by hand, very thoroughly. So, it could actually turn out to be more dependable than a new item - which will only have been checked by a process of systematic quality control protocol (ie by random sampling as they come off the conveyor belt).

The potential downside is that base warranty on refurbished is only 3 months versus 1 year on new……... however, if you purchase a MACK warranty at the same time, you bring the warranty to 3 years, so you actually have a longer warranty than with a new one.

If you ever have any queries regarding Adorama Camera or at AdoramaPix, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Sincerely

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
    www.adorama.com

Thread Information