Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Best SLR for around $1000?

Hey everyone!

I'm doing a bit of research into buying a good quality camera. I've got around $1000 to spend, but I don't know that much about Digital SLRs. I was wondering if you could help steer me into the right direction.

I'd like a camera that has a quick start up time. I'd also like to be able to snap pictures quickly (I don't want to take a picture, wait for it to load....., snap...load......, you get the idea).

I'll be taking picture of fast action sports, as well as landscape photos. I'm not a professional photographer, but just came into some money and want a really nice camera.

The $1000 (or around) should include a lens if possible too. What do you think? Any suggestions? Thanks for your help everyone! If you have any more questions let me know:thumbsup:

Re: Best SLR for around $1000?

sorry.. i should say i've been doing my research and looking at canons. I've had good previous experience with them, but have never owned a dSLR from any manufacturer. I realize my first post was quite a loaded one. But anything to help me further research would be swell.

Kentucky Wildlife

Since you have $1,000 to spend on the entire package, I would suggest spending as much or more on the lens than you do on the body. You don't need over 10 mp for good prints. Sharp glass will determine image quality more than mp.

Kentucky Wildlife

You might find a better bang for you bucks with Sony, Panasonic, Kodak or some other less popular brand.

I'm skeptical on mp. I remember reading a while ago that manufactures have found a way to bloat the mp on cameras. I look at mp on cameras like I look at gigahertz on computer processors.

You would seriously suggest Kodak or Panasonic over Pentax or Canon? My $1000 limit doesn't mean I have to spend $1000. If there is a good set up for my needs at $650 that would be grand. I just gave my price limit as a ball park for suggestions.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Whatever you choose you won't have any trouble with start up time or have to wait to snap.
    All dslrs start virtually imediatly.
    If you are buying on line, be sure to see the dealer feedback forum before buying, too.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by gnipgnop
    I'm skeptical on mp. I remember reading a while ago that manufactures have found a way to bloat the mp on cameras. I look at mp on cameras like I look at gigahertz on computer processors.

You would seriously suggest Kodak or Panasonic over Pentax or Canon? My $1000 limit doesn't mean I have to spend $1000. If there is a good set up for my needs at $650 that would be grand. I just gave my price limit as a ball park for suggestions.
    Well Kodak doesn't make any SLRs anymore, so not Kodak. And Panasonic's DSLRs are rather off-beat. But certainly many users could get better bang for the buck in the Olympus, Pentax, or Sony systems than with Nikon or Canon. But my experience is, while those brands offer some really nice cameras, but their overall systems are much less complete than Nikon and Canon. In fact, I just switched back to Nikon (who's stuff I used in my film days) because of some particular gaps in the Olympus system that affected me, and Olympus's inability to bring out mid to high end models anywhere near as aggressively as Nikon and Canon.

As for Megahertz, it's good to be skeptical. 10 MP is plenty for anyone who's not doing 2-page fashion spreads - and for that application, 12-15MP is still inadequate (those pros use 30-40MP medium and large format gear).

In any case, if you have $1000 to spend, I'd make sure that I spent no more than 60% on the body, and at least 40% on the lens. Most bundled kits are not set up that way. They usually have about 80% geared toward the body, and 20% to the lens. I think most folks are better served by getting better lenses. Even the basic low-end DSLR bodies nowadays are plenty good, but most of the kit lenses are mediocre.

thanks people!

Am I right to assume that I should stay away from stores like BestBuy and focus on dedicated camera stores? (Provided I keep an eye out for inflated prices).

What are some bodies you recommend, as well as good all around lenses?

Well, if $1000 includes lens, then I would go for getting an older generation model like the Nikon D70s, Canon Rebel XT, or Sony A200, those each running in the area of $400-$500, then spending the rest on a good lens. Of course, tripod, bag, cards, etc. Getting a good lens and pairing it with a cheap body will yeild better results than getting a cheap lens and pairing it with the nicest, most expensive body.

For the Sony - the 70-210 f4 Beercan runs around $225, great telephoto zoom with great bokeh, plus the 50 1.7 @ $100, and then you've got another couple hundred bucks to apply towards one of the *many, many* wide angle lens ranges that Minolta/Sony has to offer.

Keep in mind, you will in all likelihood going to be replacing the camera body before you replace the lens, lens are built to last decades, don't get the expensive body just to pair it with a kit lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Well, if $1000 includes lens, then I would go for getting an older generation model like the Nikon D70s, Canon Rebel XT, or Sony A200, those each running in the area of $400-$500, then spending the rest on a good lens. .
    Nowadays, you can get a new Nikon D80 for around $550, and that's a noticeable upgrade compared to a D70s. Manufacturer's demos and mint condition refurbs with warranty go for under $500, and the rush to move to the D90 has put quite a few lightly used D80s into the 2nd hand market.I recently picked up a very clean used D80 body with the Battery Grip and around 10K shutter actuations, for $400. Not bad for a camera that was selling for $900 new a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gnipgnop
    thanks people!

Am I right to assume that I should stay away from stores like BestBuy and focus on dedicated camera stores? (Provided I keep an eye out for inflated prices).

What are some bodies you recommend, as well as good all around lenses?
    Sometimes big box stores have absurdly high prices, sometimes they have absurdly good deals. It's a crapshoot, but is worth the time to stop. I got a couple of $170 flashes from a closing circuit city for $75. That's a good deal. I've never seen a good deal at a brick and mortar camera store, partially because of sales tax. If your tax isn't 10% like mine is, maybe you can find a deal...Ebay and amazon.com have been pretty good to me.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Doug - wow! I don't keep up as much on Nikon, I was unaware that you could get a D80 @ $550...

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Doug - wow! I don't keep up as much on Nikon, I was unaware that you could get a D80 @ $550...
    Nowadays, you can get a Mint condition Manufacturer's demo D80 body, with warranty, from Cameta Camera, for around $450. As I said, a month ago, I picked up a nice clean used D80, with power grip (worth around $70-80 by itself) for $400 with under 11k shutter actuations.

Damn DSLR's have gotten so much cheaper in the past year....

Go to your near by Camera store and try out Canon XS and XSI. XS around $500.00 and 10mp XSI around 699-799 12 mp.

Thread Information