• 10-21-2008, 08:58 PM
    kgroppen
    Need advice on a good photography vest...
    I've been looking for something like this safari vest and I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on them? Specifically, sizing for a woman (I am 5'3" tall and weigh about 130lbs), and if you feel that your SLR lenses fit safely in the front pockets. Also, I'm planning a trip to Africa and was wondering if they get too hot?

Thanks,
    Katrina

ps If this is the wrong forum area to post in, I apologize! I couldn't figure out which one was the best for this question, and I have DSLR.. thanks.
  • 10-22-2008, 05:27 AM
    mjs1973
    Re: Need advice on a good photography vest...
    Welcome to the site. I don't have any experience with photo vests, but I did recently go to Africa. (South Africa) What time of year are you going to be going? I was there at the end of May and the temps were perfect. I would have had no problem wearing a vest and staying cool. We had temps in the mis 70's all week and we spent most of our time on safari in the back of a truck. It's not like we were doing a lot of hiking to get warmed up.

That vest looks pretty decent to me and the price seams pretty good too. I have seen photo vests sell for 2 or 3 times that price.
  • 10-22-2008, 06:24 AM
    Frog
    Re: Need advice on a good photography vest...
    I have a similar vest that I bought at a sporting goods store a long time ago for a fishing vest.
    The one you show looks like a good one with a good price.
    You might see what they have at local sporting goods stores though most fishing vests are too short but the hunting ones are usually long enough. I do carry some lenses in the larger pockets and feel they are secure in mine.
    HEY! They have pith helmets too. Everyone needs one of those on safari.