Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

On my own in this.

Sometime in the next few months,I will be getting a new camera-DSLR,it will probably go down like this

Tour date confirmed,down payment made,maybe a day or two to get camera before we leave ,plus bag ,(my Lowepro P&S bag is NOT waterproof-ideas ?) extra battery,memory cards.
    As I have never personally bought or chosen a camera before,would appreciate all advice.

Looking at the Canon XSi,with kit lens or poss also 50mm,nifty fifty,depends on budget,but presume its pretty basic.
    Open to other suggestions-since I'm a home bod,when we are not working on shows,will research any ideas online-not an option to try out cameras-they all come plastic wrapped,prob. cos of high mould in these here tropics.

Currently using Sony Cybershot DSC H-9.for photos of live music shows,lots of movement,many band members on stage,varying lighting from terrible to full rig -often shooting over my/crowds heads,using live view on the articulated screen-and not fully
    comfortable with manual -if the lighting is good,I tend to go to auto,and stay there,then later experiment with bracketing on manual,when basic shots are covered.

Examples of what I get are here-

-this was an attempt to capture the live "feel"
    http://http://gallery.photographyreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=113377&cat=500&ppuser=272109

-this is more like what is wanted from my work.-think the fifty lens sounds good for close ups,is fast enough-unless someone knows better ?
    http://http://gallery.photographyreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=110834&cat=500&ppuser=272109

Since its a first time,will be going to one of two local camera dealers with good reputations-(rather than the downtown techno malls,where goodness only knows what could befall an unwary customer)- these guys know us and have had dealings with our biz-but anything to watch for,country of manufacture,etc?

Thanks !

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

“ Make no judgments where you have no compassion ”
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

Re: On my own in this.

Susaan, I think the XSI would be a good choice. I don't know how much more a 50D would be but from what I have read and heard the low light capability's on the 50 are pretty good. If you could get just the camera body and 2 lenses. first lens is the nifty 50 everyone has to have one. The other you might consider is a 85 mm F 1.8
    http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...5_3111crx.aspx
    Here are the reviews for the lens which is probaly the next lens I add to my collection.
    Happy shopping , Jimmy B

Thanks,Jimmy B,

The 50D is about twice what I'm considering tho' really a smashing camera,from the reviews-would be more inclined to get a better lens,than a better body-the 85mm you mentioned,for example.(ta)

The Killers

Anne McCaffrey

Yugoslav Proverb

I would leave more time to get the camera so that you can test it out and get problems sorted before you go and so that you have time to get used to it.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

That is good advice,and my plan...also to shoot enough to be able to ask the right questions and get some answers,before we leave-but last year this Sony was handed to me at the airport...trying to improve on that...:..
    -if I have to practice on the trip,its a long flight ! (Time to read the manual)

It may be the New Year before we leave for Europe...first time out of the East !!

The Killers

Anne McCaffrey

Yugoslav Proverb

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

For your work with the band, consider the low light performance of the camera.
    And I second the 50mm f/1.8 lens, even with that I had to use 1600 ISO for my first ever band photos.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

The fifty will be my first choice of lens-thanks,Smart Wombat !

I understand the XSi has a low ISO,max 1600-there is another thread I've been following talking about that issue-betting its 1600 looks WAY better than what I have now .

Not seen a body for the XSi for sale at a price that makes it worth skipping the kit one-and buying in Indonesia,so hitting up EBay or Sams Club is out of the question,sadly,which would give me better body options for my buck.

-hoping there are some Nikon,Pentax,Olympus,Sony,etc users who have a smaller DSLR backup camera they can share thoughts on !

The Killers

Anne McCaffrey

Yugoslav Proverb

Thread Information