Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Buying advice for a beginner

Hello all,

I'm hoping you can help me pick the camera I should be buying. I'm brand new to DSLRs, but have always liked photography and really want to give my hand at it. I get a discount towards certain camera's through my work, so I've narrowed it down to the following options. None of these options has something over the others in terms of features that I really want, so that doesn't help me decide.

I'll also mention that I'd prefer to keep costs low, since I'm not sure if I'm really going to dive into this or not... however, if paying more up front is going to result in a camera I'll be much happier with, I'm willing to do it.

The cameras are:
    Nikon D5000 - $579
    Cannon XSi - $579
    Cannon XS - $475
    Sony A330 - $250

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Re: Buying advice for a beginner

Do you have any experience with photography; like with a non-DSLR? If so, what do you shoot now and what don't you shoot because you can't get it right? Do these deals include the kit lens?

IMO, I don't see how you could pass up the A330 at that price. You can pick up an excellent used Minolta 50mm f/1.7 for $50 and really find out if you like photography for $300.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

First point: What are you going to do with the camera?

Second point: You never buy a DSLR body without a lens, so what lens are you thinking of getting with the camera? You can start comparing prices when you've got the whole cost. It usually makes good sense for a first buy to get the kit body + lens proposed by the manufacturer. The lens is almost given away and it lets you get started. In a year's time you will have more experience and you will have a better idea of what lens you want next.

Third point: Your list includes a current-generation Nikon and Canon bodies that are two and three generations old. The sensor and image processor of the Nikon are better than on those Canon models.

Fourth point: I've sort of led you into this but - if you buy a Canon 18-55 kit lens then make sure that it's the latest IS version. Users weren't very happy about the previous version and as you're talking about older models you are quite likely to get the older lens as well.

Got no clue about the Sony I'm afraid (but I see our resident expert has chimed in)
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

You sure those prices are right? That sony would be a steal at $250, I would be weary of the place that offers it at that price, that just doesn't seem right. If it is, no less, the Sony is certainly the best deal of those all by far. Its more fully featured than the XS which you are saying is almost double the price.

Thanks for your replies!

To follow up with more info:

-Yes, all of these include the kit lens.
    -The cameras I chose were based on price... I know the cannon's are older, but I just can't afford some of the newer stuff given the economy right now... trying to be prudent, at least until I know if I'll really absorb photography as a hobby. ;)
    -I have some photography experience... unfortunately my point and shoot broke and I just didn't see the value in purchasing another. I've always wanted to learn more advanced photography, so I think now is a good time to venture in!
    -I'm interested mostly in scenery, landscape shots, and in night photography (stars, shadows, fireworks.. whatever). I do however do some with typical camera uses; taking pictures of friends and family and what not. I also would like to get into a bit of shooting bands - I manage a coffee house part time and do booking for events... would be cool to shoot some of them. I have also done a bit with macro shots and enjoyed them. So, I guess I do a little of everything?
    -Yes, I'm sure of my prices and my sources (because of my main job, I'm able to order straight from the respective manufacturers at a discount... sort of a "try our product" promotion), but I do appreciate the heads-up!

Where did you get these prices? There are a lot of places out there on the net that are nothing but scam artists. If it sounds to good to be true it usually is. We have a forum that has a list of approved sites to buy from. It is called camera dealer feedback.
    Nikon D300s with Nikon grip
    Nikon D300 with Zeikos grip
    Nikon D40x
    Nikkor 80-200 2.8
    Nikkor 70-300 VR
    Nikkor 18-55 Kit lens
    Nikkor 50 1.8
    Nikkor 35 1.8
    Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    SB-900
    SB-600

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

If you can get them at those prices and not from one of the bait and switch stores, then your next step is to see if you can go somewhere to handle the cameras and see which seem most comfortable to hold and intuitive to use.
    Also remember that you will be buying into a system. All the manufacturers make good cameras with advantages or disadvantages and its rather a personal choice which you would prefer.
    Good luck and please let us know what you did decide.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dockrey
    Where did you get these prices? There are a lot of places out there on the net that are nothing but scam artists. If it sounds to good to be true it usually is. We have a forum that has a list of approved sites to buy from. It is called camera dealer feedback.
    See my post above yours... coming straight from the manufacturer. But thank you.

I'm leaning towards the sony at this point... sounds like a lot of people I've talked to say that because of the price that's a great place to start and see what I like about photography... and when I go to upgrade I can look for something more appropriate to me. I'll let you guys know when I do decide.

Thread Information