Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Smile My 1st SLR - Help!

Hi Everyone!

I have been a point and shoot user all my life and I want to try out some more serious photography, particularly because next year I will be going to Alaska and I want to take some good pictures while I am there.

I recently came across someone selling a 3-4 year old Canon Rebel XT with the stock EFS 18-55mm lens, an Ultrasonic 28-135mm IS lens, a 75-300mm lens, and 2 different bags. He is asking $600 for everything.

I know lenses can be expensive, so I liked that I could start off with 3 different lenses right away (Although, I'll be honest, I don't know how good these lenses do or what they will do exactly!) I also know the Rebel XT is the older version of this camera, but again, I am COMPLETELY new to SLRs so I'll be taking some classes and starting from scratch.

Do you think this is good deal for my first DSLR?

Any advice would be helpful, Thanks so much everyone!

- Complete SLR Newbie

Re: My 1st SLR - Help!

I think you did great. The camera is the weak link in that package, although it will do just fine for a starter and it will be better than whatever P&S you've been using. The three lenses are all solid and you have a very nice zoom range to work with. What kind of stuff are you taking pictures of? Any problems we can help you with?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks for your help, It is really very appreciated because I am completely new to this. I've read a lot of posts about not wasting your time with the XT at this point because of the new options out there, but it's in my budget range, and I'm starting at the most basic level imaginable so I think it will work for me.

I travel a lot, and I love taking pictures of landscapes and buildings. Like I said, I'm going to Alaska next year and I plan to take some classes so that I am somewhat experienced with the camera before then.

No problems yet, but thank you again so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley8053
    I've read a lot of posts about not wasting your time with the XT at this point because of the new options out there, but it's in my budget range, and I'm starting at the most basic level imaginable so I think it will work for me.
    Although I agree that the XT is pretty dated, I think you did well. Too many people want a better camera and neglect the lenses, which are really more important. The XT may not have the features and performance of a newer camera, but that's not going to get in the way of you learning the basic principles of photography. And the lenses you got will let you do a lot of stuff that people who blow their whole budget on a new camera and kit lens can't do. The XT will have you out shooting and learning and those lenses will let you experiment on alll kinds of subjects. If you find the XT is getting in the way, you can upgrade before your trip

I recommend taking as many pictures as possible and posting them on our Photo Critique forum or whatever forum you prefer. We can help you figure out whatever problems you encounter as well as give you encouragement and new ideas. Personally, I love watching photographers get inspired
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Obviously having good lenses is very important, so I'm happy to have found something that gets me started not only with the camera body but with some lenses as well. I agree, if in a years time I want to upgrade, I can buy another Canon, with just the body.

Thanks for that suggestion, I definitely will try that out and get some feedback! I really appreciate your replies and all of your help!

The best place to learn is here.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

That looks like a good deal, the 28-135 IS USM I think you'll find especially useful, strong range without the typical superzoom sacrifice in quality.

I always emphasize to new SLR users how valuable and important the 50mm lens is, and as affordable it is, its always a no-brainer. Its only ~$90 (Canon 50mm f/1.8), and as far as optical quality goes, significantly better performer than any of the lens you listed. Its also significantly smaller than any of those, has much faster AF speed ability, works in much lower light, huge f-stop range, and has a uniquely prime soft-focus ability that is invaluable to portraiture. The only sacrifice is zoom, your feet will become your zoom with this one.

And welcome to the forums. Stick around, the people here are always very helpful and plenty.

Thread Information