• 05-17-2007, 10:00 AM
    jessep
    Mountain bikes and DSLR's, namely the Rebel Xt or a D40.. A question for Photo John
    I've been waffling between these two cameras for a while now.. I like the fact that the nikon is a bit lighter and the kit lense isn't crap so the initial investment would be a bit smaller. But for my exact purposes, I'm not sure what I should do. I want this camera for basically two things; something to take on bike rides besides my S80 to take action shots, and for outdoor scenery shots. The S80 is great as long as there is enough light to keep the ISO at 50 or maybe 100, but it's crap after that. I also want something faster focusing and shooting.. Seems the D40 is going used on Ebay for about what I payed for the S80 when it came out. Stupid technology..

I like the idea of using AF-servo mode for moving targets, but I'm not sure how well that works in the real world. I figure the D40 is a bit smaller and cheaper. Am I going to be happy using the stock 18-55mm lens at least initially? How do focusing speeds compare with moving tagets?

Anyone have some experience using either of these for what I just outlined? What lens did you end up with? Is it worth the money to get the xt for outdoor type stuff? Thoughts? Comments? Am I completely off target here?

Wow, that was a lot of question marks. Excuse my convoluted writing.
  • 05-17-2007, 10:19 AM
    Photo-John
    Re: Mountain bikes and DSLR's, namely the Rebel Xt or a D40.. A question for Photo John
    I think either one will be fine. People keep saying that the Canon kit lens is junk. I disagree. That was the case with Canon kit lenses ten years ago. But I got the kit when I bought my XTi and was pleasantly surprised by the kit lens. It's not awesome. But I wouldn't worry about using it. It's not going to hold you back in any way and you aren't going to look at your photos and think they suck.

Predictive AF is very nice, when it works. It's hard to use for bike photos since there's very little to focus on. I could write a book on predictive AF problems and technique. It works great, but it's not a sure thing. When I'm riding, I still pre-focus most of the time. I mostly use AI Servo for race photos, where I can't re-shoot.

Which camera is better? I'd consider the system you're buying into and the size and weight of the camera. I am overjoyed with the size and weight of my XTi. I think the Nikon D40 would also be great. Honestly, I think it comes down to personal preference. There's not a huge difference. Canon used to be the best for auto focus speed an accuracy. They may still have an edge. But I don't know how much difference it will really make to most photographers.
  • 06-14-2007, 02:16 PM
    jessep
    an interesting chain of events...
    So, I bought a d40 on ebay yesterday... I get an email this morning from the guy saying he shipped the wrong camera to me.. He shipped an XTi instead of the D40.. I asked if we could make a deal for the XTi and save the hassle of shipping cameras back and forth for the next week or so.. I was prepared to pay a bit more, but in his reply he just said "keep it if you want"... So I did.

So to make a long story short, I got the XTi for the price of a D40

Should arrive tomorrow, I'm pumped!

Jesse
  • 06-14-2007, 06:43 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: an interesting chain of events...
    Score!

I think you'll be very happy. I'm very please with my XTi. I've got no regrets and am planning to sell my 1D and replace it with either a second XTi or whatever Canon comes up with to replace the 30D. The XTi will take care of 98% of my photo needs.

The only real issue for you is whether you have a preference for the Nikon system that might make you unhappy with the Canon. I think they're both fine systems. But lots of people have a preference and it's definitely something to consider. Also, if one system has something you want and the other doesn't, that's important, too. But it you're really neutral about it, then you should be really psyched. You got a camera with more resolution, dust-removal, and really excellent high-ISO performance. Not that there's anything wrong with the D40. But I think the XTi is a step up.

Can't wait to see some photos from you!

I just came back from shooting the Marzocchi 2008 product intro with my XTi and I'll be shooting the Deer Valley NORBA with it, starting tomorrow. I have tons of confidence in my "entry-level" camera :D
  • 06-15-2007, 08:44 AM
    jessep
    Re: Mountain bikes and DSLR's, namely the Rebel Xt or a D40.. A question for Photo John
    No issues here, I'm actually more of a canon fan anyway. I wanted to try Nikon because I found such a good deal on the D40...

the xti was a new display model that's been under glass. It doesn't have a battery or charger, but it's brand new.. Luckily I have an S80 that shares the same battery so I'm all set. And I have a brother with an XT so I can get any of the software I want..

Some times things just work out.. Getting it today, I'll post it's maiden shot

Have you published the new Marzocchi stuff yet? I'll go check mtbr..