Most Expensive Camera?

Printable View

• 04-01-2007, 03:10 PM
    Frans
    Most Expensive Camera?
    Is the latest Hasselblad HD2-39 the most expensive camera that is commercially available?
    At 39 Mega Pixel at a Cost of $50,215AUD or $40,000 USD for the body only.
    See http://www.dotcomdeals.com.au/shoppi...roducts_id=412
  • 04-01-2007, 04:30 PM
    Ronnoco
    Re: Most Expensive Camera?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frans
    Is the latest Hasselblad HD2-39 the most expensive camera that is commercially available?
    At 39 Mega Pixel at a Cost of $50,215AUD or $40,000 USD for the body only.
    See http://www.dotcomdeals.com.au/shoppi...roducts_id=412

Certainly the most expensive digital camera. I can somehow not picture working in layers in Photoshop with a 39 megapixel original.

Ronnoco
  • 04-01-2007, 04:43 PM
    Frog
    With 39 megapixels, can you read the small print on a medicne bottle a mile away?

Out of my price range for sure.
  • 04-01-2007, 06:32 PM
    Mr Yuck
    Only 400 ISO?

Weak. :lol:

If someone's gonna spend 40 grand on a camera, I think they're gonna have a decent enough computer to work with the images, at LEAST a Pentium II with MMX. :D
  • 04-01-2007, 07:03 PM
    Ronnoco
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Yuck
    Only 400 ISO?

Weak. :lol:

If someone's gonna spend 40 grand on a camera, I think they're gonna have a decent enough computer to work with the images, at LEAST a Pentium II with MMX. :D

I don't think you do any postprocessing on a computer, Mr. Yuck. A Pentium II would not even handle a postprocessing program, let alone an image. :)

Ronnco
  • 04-01-2007, 09:04 PM
    Mr Yuck
    But with MMX, you're unstoppable. :lol:

And the new Photoshop 5.0 just requires an intel Pentium or faster and 64mb of ram. The MMX technology should allow you to manipulate a .39 megapixel image no problem.

see calendar.

Seriously though, if someone's gonna be spending the $40k on a camera, they'll be willing to go after the higher end systems.

I've worked on a 10.5 megapixel image on my 2.4ghz P4 with 1.5gb RAM in Fireworks MX, and considering the performance boost I saw when I upgraded to a 2ghz Core2duo with 2gb ram in my laptop, the high end quad core systems with 4gigs of ram are gonna handle a measly 39 megapixel image no problem.

Google gigapixel, there are some prototype cameras out there, but there's also some stitched gigapixel images, which is pretty insane.

It all comes down to budget + patience.
  • 04-02-2007, 05:16 PM
    Skyman
    just like video editing systems people who need to edit images like that use servers that have been converted specifically for the purpose. I worked with someone who was using one of them whilst studying photography and they basically never worried about composition as they could crop as severly as they wanted and the shot was still very sharp.
  • 05-02-2007, 08:22 AM
    trocadero
    With 39 megapixels we can verify if Armstrong did (in fact) walk on the moon. Unfortunately just CNN can afford such price. lol
  • 05-02-2007, 03:09 PM
    Frog
    [. I worked with someone who was using one of them whilst studying photography and they basically never worried about composition as they could crop as severly as they wanted and the shot was still very sharp.[/QUOTE]

Never worried about composition? That would take about 90% of my enjoyment away.
    The search for the composition is what I enjoy most.