Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Question about canon 20d kit lens (usm or no usm)

From looking around on the internet I have noticed that some places will sale the canon 20d in a kit that comes with a 18-55 mm lens. Some of these kit lenses say they are USM and some say they are not. In fact on Adorama website, there is a 40 dollar difference between the two.

What actually is the difference between the usm and non usm lenses? Are either of them any good? I know I have heard a lot of praise for the 17-85mm lens. Just wondering if I go the kit lens route if I should find one that has a usm lens.

Thanks for the help

Jason

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Question about canon 20d kit lens (usm or no usm)

Hi Jason,

The USM stands for UltraSonic Motor. This is refering to the motor in the lens that focuses the lens. It is a lot faster, and quieter than the standard lens. Depending on what you like to shoot, it might be worth the extra $40.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

USM always over non USM.

But think about whether you will use the lens or want better glass, if you are looking for better glass then buy prime lenses, preferrably L glass (yes which is way expensive) but the images are just so much better and you will be happier from the outset.

Not to say the other lenses aren't good, they are, but they aren't up to the standards that serious photographers would use for working environments.

Just my opinion by the way.

I have a 28-135 f/3.5-4.5 IS Canon lens that I used for the majority of my images and have a 50mm f/1.8 lens that I will use second choice depending on the conditions of lighting, I also have a 75-300 f/4.5-5.6 IS lens that I hardly ever use and I think I will be selling in the near future new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_AUS
    if you are looking for better glass then buy prime lenses, preferrably L glass (yes which is way expensive) but the images are just so much better and you will be happier from the outset.
    Just a little addition to this. The Canon "L" zooms are as good or better than most Canon non-L prime lenses. Like Peter says, they are expensive. But they really are worth the money. I think the 70-200 f/4L and 70-200 f/2.8L are among the best lenses ever made. Absolute best bang for the buck is the Canon 50mm f/1.8 prime, which I believe is not a USM lens. But usually, when you're using a 50mm lens, speed isn't one of the main issues - image quality and composition are.

Hope that adds something useful.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information