Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: sensor clean

sensor clean

I don't come to this forum a lot so maybe this has been discussed in the past and I missed it.

Is there anything wrong with doing a sensor clean frequently? I have a DRebel and it has the option, should I maintain a regular schedule of doing it?

I don't know much about it.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

My advice Kelly,

If it isn't broken (no dust) then leave well enough alone. Only do it when it is absolutely necessary.

How does an in-camera sensor clean get dust off the sensor? I have a digital menu item called "sensor clean". What is it? (sorry, lost the manual! )

Sensor Clean

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    How does an in-camera sensor clean get dust off the sensor? I have a digital menu item called "sensor clean". What is it? (sorry, lost the manual! )
    The menu item "sensor clean" lifts the mirror out of the way and opens the shutter so you can blow dust off of the sensor with a bulb blower. Dust has the potential to get to the sensor with every picture you take, the mirror moves up out of the way so light can get to the shutter and the shutter opens to allow light to the sensor. With every shutter action the dust that gets into your body from changing lenses could possibly get on the sensor. The best way to check if you have dust on your sensor is to take a picture of clear sky with a small aperature. Dust will show up as small round smudges on the image.
    If the dust doesn't come off with a simple puff or two from a blower, you may have to resort to more drastic measures. The copperhill site has very good info on cleaning sensors and the tools to do it.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Thank you!

Thread Information