• 03-28-2006, 10:09 PM
    Anbesol
    minolta/sony manufacturer forum.
    I think it'd be a good idea to get a minolta/sony manufacturer forum going on... i for one would like it. it would certainly attract more minolta users! plus, with sony's aggressive marketting strategies and their endless funds to provide, im sure that a sony SLR is on the serious rise!
  • 03-30-2006, 01:42 PM
    payn817
    Re: minolta/sony manufacturer forum.
    It's been discussed, but I think PJ wants to wait and see what Sony does. It's doubtful we will know anything before summer though. I certainly know that it would drive some traffic to the site, and give the few minolta users here some resources. Sony has stated that they will use the mount, so it certainly seems appropriate.

Personally, it doesn't matter though, as there is always Dyxum.com to find out about issues/news. For now, we will have to use another site, or the Digital SLR forum.

I love my KM DSLR, but really don't expect much from Sony, at least not first generation. The plan though is to save up until the 5D bites or no longer serves my purposes, by then I will be able to buy a decent Nikon system with a couple lenses.
  • 04-03-2006, 11:51 AM
    Photo-John
    I'm interested in starting a Sony/KM forum. Regardless of what happens with the Konica Minolta stuff, there are still plenty of Sony users out there. It doesn't have to be all about SLRs. My biggest concern is that people actually use it. If you can rally some folks and show that there's really some interest, and that people will really use it, I'll happily add it. I just don't want to add it and have it sit empty and unactive.
  • 04-03-2006, 01:27 PM
    zrfraser
    I would use it if it were available.
  • 04-03-2006, 04:52 PM
    Ronnoco
    I would use it as well. I have lots of experience with Minolta still cameras and Sony video equipment.

Ronnoco
  • 04-03-2006, 06:10 PM
    Anbesol
    a thing people dont seem to fully appreciate is that sonys takeover doesnt mean they start from scratch - they still have all the resources that minolta had, the employees minolta had are now sony employees, they arent out of a job. I think that truthfully, its more like an integration of 2 companies then anything else, take the best of both worlds (mostly the minolta world ;)), then it is anything else...
  • 04-03-2006, 06:53 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anbesol
    a thing people dont seem to fully appreciate is that sonys takeover doesnt mean they start from scratch - they still have all the resources that minolta had, the employees minolta had are now sony employees, they arent out of a job. I think that truthfully, its more like an integration of 2 companies then anything else, take the best of both worlds (mostly the minolta world ;)), then it is anything else...

Are we sure about that? I know they acquired patents from KM and they are supposed to honoring service contracts. But that doesn't mean they'll actually use anything. I talked to Sony at PMA and they wouldn't say a thing about their plans. They never do. Big technology companies like Sony are also in the habit of patenting products they never intend to see the light of day. So it's possible that Sony has no intention of using anything they acquired. But no one else would be able to use it either.

Regardless, if we can get enough interested people to commit to the new forum, I'm willing to give it a shot. Just keep in mind that it would be for Sony as well as Konica Minolta users. That means that it would be just as much for Sony point-and-shooters as Konica Minolta SLR owners. As long as everyone's on-board and willing to make it work, and we can get a few more participants, I'm all for it. Go out there and dig up some more users and we can get the new forum up this week ;)
  • 04-03-2006, 08:01 PM
    Anbesol
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Are we sure about that? I know they acquired patents from KM and they are supposed to honoring service contracts. But that doesn't mean they'll actually use anything. I talked to Sony at PMA and they wouldn't say a thing about their plans. They never do. Big technology companies like Sony are also in the habit of patenting products they never intend to see the light of day. So it's possible that Sony has no intention of using anything they acquired. But no one else would be able to use it either.

Regardless, if we can get enough interested people to commit to the new forum, I'm willing to give it a shot. Just keep in mind that it would be for Sony as well as Konica Minolta users. That means that it would be just as much for Sony point-and-shooters as Konica Minolta SLR owners. As long as everyone's on-board and willing to make it work, and we can get a few more participants, I'm all for it. Go out there and dig up some more users and we can get the new forum up this week ;)

I believe Sony will use minoltas legendary anti-shake feature, and I believe they will use their optics - not just the ones theyve already crafted, but i think tehy will create newer optics with minolta technology.

anyway - COOL! I need to embrace my sony brethren anyways - we are now watched over by the same mother anyways. plus that R1 is just COOOL!

COOL! I'm glad I suggested it ;):):P
  • 04-04-2006, 11:05 AM
    Photo-John
    Hint:
    Check the reviews and the Members List to find other Sony and Konica Minolta users registered on the site. Send them e-mails or PMs to let them know what you want to do. And thank you for your help! This is good for the site :)
  • 04-04-2006, 05:04 PM
    payn817
    I see this site refrenced on other sites with minolta forums all the time. Many messages read:

You can check the reviews at photographyreview.com, but they don't have a dedicated KM forum :(

Anyway, I'm in if you start one, and am sure Scooterinslc would be really interested.

As for the DSLR thing, I think there's only like 4 of us, so it would certainly start off dealing with p&s/compacts/film SLRs.

It really doesn't matter what Sony does with what they got from KM anyway. They belong together simply because Sony offers the support/service/parts.
  • 04-04-2006, 07:12 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by payn817
    I see this site refrenced on other sites with minolta forums all the time. Many messages read:

You can check the reviews at photographyreview.com, but they don't have a dedicated KM forum :(

You're not pulling my leg are you? If there are people out there just waiting for us to open up a dedicated KM forum, then I really should. Consider it done. There's a little bit of work involved to prep it, so give me a day or so. But I'm gonna do it.

Thanks!
  • 04-05-2006, 02:27 AM
    payn817
    PJ, i posted messages on some of the KM and Sony dedicated forums pointing them in this direction. I actually read recently from some users that they prefer your setup, galleries, and critique section, but have gone elsewhere due to the fact that the other sites have a forum for their maker. It may or may not add many users, as those forums are very well established on the other sites. DPreview has 18,506 threads with over 200,000 messages in a forum dedicated to 5D/7D alone!!

One advantage you would have though is that you are combining the two companies into one forum, whereas the others have seperate threads. Users have requested consolidation on those sites, but the administration has yet to even reply to the request. Dyxum is the only site that the admin. has openly considered it, but wants to wait to see what Sony does. For what it's worth, Tamron has a lens on Ritz that has yet to be released, but tey are taking advance orders, and the specs for the lens states it is for Sony/Minolta. Sure, it isn't anything really concrete, but then it doesn't matter, as it stands they have now become one in the same, regardless of what Sony does with the technology.

If you are worried about empty space, you could always just give it a 30 day or so test run.

Pulling your leg? Never. This site has a huge rep. it is often mentioned in a local photog club, and in circles among freelancers/PJs looking for reviews, etc...
  • 04-05-2006, 02:58 AM
    BobJanesSE2
    Just joined as I'm interested in a Sony/KM forum..

Bob
  • 04-05-2006, 02:59 AM
    payn817
    Awesome, welcome to the community Bob!
  • 04-05-2006, 04:13 AM
    Shercando
    Hello, my name is Shercando and I am a Minolta-holic. I just signed on to PhotographyReview.com. I have been a frequent visitor in the past. I am looking forward to good things from the Sony/Konica Minolta alliance and in this forum as well.
  • 04-05-2006, 07:02 AM
    alexperez
    I also just joined and it would be great to see a Sony/KM forum.

Regards,
    Alex
  • 04-05-2006, 07:34 AM
    payn817
    Welcome Shercando and Alexperez, good to see support showing up for the new forum.

PJ, think I am pulling your leg still?? LOL :D:cool:
  • 04-05-2006, 08:03 AM
    happyme
    I just joined this forum hoping for a SonyMinolta forum to be established. I mainly read and post on the DPreview website in the Konica Minolta SLR Talk Forum and the Sony Talk Forum.

The main cameras I use now are the Maxxum 5D and the Sony DSC-H1.

I will say hello to everyone and hope to meet other DPreview members and new members here.

I look forward to sharing our love of photography, knowledge, and joy of using our Sony/Minolta photographic equipment with everyone here.

I am looking forward to Sony's entrance into the world of DSLRs working with the Minolta design team. For me it is the best of both worlds.
  • 04-05-2006, 08:49 AM
    kenuk
    I have just joined and would be interested in a Sony/Minolta forum
  • 04-05-2006, 11:31 AM
    Greybear
    I have just joined and would be interested in a Sony/Minolta forum.
    I now own a KM Maxxum 7D AND a Minolta A1 and may consider another DSLR of
    Sony / Minolta design.
  • 04-05-2006, 01:19 PM
    Anbesol
    and lenses. we need lenses big time - theyre very quickly shrinking on the market and becoming harder and harder to find. there was once a point they were almost as easy as finding nikon lens, now theyre almost as difficult as zuiko lens :(.

weve got to rally the troops! (the troops making the cameras/lens) and get them to resupply dealers with lens and promise serious support for the mount, or better yet, release a new body and resupply optics, possibly making new optics.
  • 04-05-2006, 04:30 PM
    Photo-John
    Done!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anbesol
    I think it'd be a good idea to get a minolta/sony manufacturer forum going on...

The new Sony & Konica Minolta forum is live: http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=54

Thanks, Anbesol, for getting the ball rolling. And thanks to everyone for rallying around the Sony & Konica Minolta forum proposal and letting me know it was important to you. Also, welcome to the new guys who registered just for the new forum! We're very happy to have you and I hope the new forum is good for the Sony & Konica Minolta community and encourages Sony to continue support and development for the Konica Minolta lens mount and system. Any of you who haven't posted reviews for your cameras and lenses, here are links to the Sony and Konica Minolta review pages.

Konica Minolta Reviews: http://www.photographyreview.com/mfr...CL_374CRX.ASPX
    Sony Reviews: http://www.photographyreview.com/mfr...CL_444crx.aspx

Thanks again guys. I'm psyched about the new forum!
  • 04-05-2006, 08:01 PM
    Anbesol
    Re: Done!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    The new Sony & Konica Minolta forum is live: http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=54

Thanks, Anbesol, for getting the ball rolling. And thanks to everyone for rallying around the Sony & Konica Minolta forum proposal and letting me know it was important to you. Also, welcome to the new guys who registered just for the new forum! We're very happy to have you and I hope the new forum is good for the Sony & Konica Minolta community and encourages Sony to continue support and development for the Konica Minolta lens mount and system. Any of you who haven't posted reviews for your cameras and lenses, here are links to the Sony and Konica Minolta review pages.

Konica Minolta Reviews: http://www.photographyreview.com/mfr...CL_374CRX.ASPX
    Sony Reviews: http://www.photographyreview.com/mfr...CL_444crx.aspx

Thanks again guys. I'm psyched about the new forum!

ALL RIGHT! thank you!

great start so far!
  • 04-11-2006, 08:20 PM
    Maxxum Man
    New member - Just saying Hello
    Hello Everyone,
    Just joined, and hopefully will be able to learn a few things, and maybe share a few also.
    Have never used anything except Minolta 35 mm cameras, and Mamiya RB67 cameras, until I bought a Fuji Finepix S20Pro. Still do Black & White in the darkroom, and hope they never stop making B & W supplies. Love film, love digital. There's a place for all of it. Nothing beats a Darkroom for getting away from it all! I wanted to buy the Maxxum 7D, but thought that it might be smart to wait until they come out with a Maxxum 9D. I hope it still happens, and that it is everything a 9D should be. Hopefully Sony will market the Bejezzus out of it. I'd love to see them give Canon and Nikon a reason to shake a little. It used to bug me like crazy to see Minolta come out with all the new ideas, and inovations, and later on Nikon and Canon would catch up and use it in their cameras, and pretend that they thought of it first. Who had the first Autofocus 35mm, Digital camera, Anti-shake in camera body, 2.5 in LCD screen on back of Digital Cameras? MINOLTA !! So Sony is inheriting some very creative people from Minolta. Have a good night. Maxxum Man
  • 04-20-2006, 01:59 PM
    Maxxum Man
    Hey Guys,
    Looks like Sony is starting to hype the new D-SLR allready. The name will be Alpha/Maxxum, and if you want to read the whole thing, go to www.sony.com/dslr and get the story so far. I believe my wait may just pay off yet. Maxxum Man;)