Metering

Printable View

• 02-15-2008, 01:11 PM
    drewphotograph
    Metering
    I just want to know how to maximize in using metering system. I mean in what condition of light or shot we need to use Evaluative metering, Center-Weight Average metering, partial or spot?

I'm kinda confuse with them, especially with Evaluative & CWA.

thank you.
  • 02-15-2008, 08:28 PM
    brmill26
    Re: Metering
    I'd like a good answer on that one as well, specifically, the difference b/t Evaluative and Center W. Avg.

Thus far, on my XTi I can only tell a difference when I shoot partial, as it only meters for what's in the circle - say it's a shadow and there's a highlight in the corner, the highlight will be blown but the shadows won't be too dark. On the other hand, last weekend I went back and forth b/t CWA and Evaluative and couldn't tell one bit of difference b/t the two.

Spot is great, which I wish the XTi had. For spot, say you want to photograph a lit face in front of a very dark (night or heavy shadow) background. With spot, you can meter on the face only, whereas evaluative would try to balance b/t the face and the dark background, making the face too dark.

At least, that's my understanding thus far...
  • 02-15-2008, 08:33 PM
    gryphonslair99
    Go get this book and read it. It will answer virtually every question you have on aperture, metering, shutter speed, ISO and they way they work together to get the desired exposure. Every beginning photographer should have this one, and pretty much any photographer.
    It's called Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson.
    http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/0817463003
  • 02-16-2008, 08:48 AM
    mwfanelli2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drewphotograph
    I just want to know how to maximize in using metering system. I mean in what condition of light or shot we need to use Evaluative metering, Center-Weight Average metering, partial or spot?

I'm kinda confuse with them, especially with Evaluative & CWA.

thank you.

May I suggest that you take some time to learn about exposure. You should never totally rely on the meter to get you the exposure you need.

That being said, for beginners evaluative metering is probably best. That is like the "Program" mode on your camera.It does a good job most of the time. Old guys such as myself like center-weighted (more emphasis on the center) because I grew up with that.

Spot metering is over-rated. During film days, slide shooters would use it in difficult lighting because of the very small dynamic range of slides. Digital has a larger DR than slides and also has the histogram.

Partial metering is like spot, it just doesn't have a constant 1-degree spot. In fact, some cameras that claim to have a spot meter really don't. These meters are used by experienced shooters who fully understand light and exposure.
  • 02-23-2008, 11:39 PM
    spiraleyes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gryphonslair99
    Go get this book and read it. It will answer virtually every question you have on aperture, metering, shutter speed, ISO and they way they work together to get the desired exposure. Every beginning photographer should have this one, and pretty much any photographer.
    It's called Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson.
    http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/0817463003

Yup, I have this book and it answers these questions perfectly. A must have book, for sure! :thumbsup:
  • 02-28-2008, 01:16 PM
    JTcooper
    for me I used CWA for indoor and evaluative for outdoor