Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Starter DSLR

Starter DSLR

Ok I already talked about some of my probs on the canon section of this site. But I am starting to reorganize my thoughts.

This is kinda background info: I am a 16 year old so cash is, of the essence. This (as you can tell by the title) is the first dslr I would own, though I have used dslrs in the past, so I know how to use them. I really would want to use this camera for overall everything (landscape, people, building, you name it, so I really would like two lenses but I know that would add a hefty price.

My question is, what is the difference between the cameras such as the Canon XT and XTi and the Sony D40 and D40x. Or even the Sony Alpha. Or even skip those and looking at any Olympus. I had always thought that Canon and Nikon were "the best" so thats why I mentioned them first.

Also do focus points make a difference? I really used the canon D10 and I know that has 7, the same amount as the canons XT, is this really all I would need for general photography? Or would the 3 in the Nikon's D40 make a difference, same goes for the 9 in Canon's XTi. I don't even know how many Sony's Alpha has.

Also(I know I am really asking alot, so just answer the parts that you know) I really have been only looking at the Canons and the Nikons, for some one like me, is the Alpha all I really need? It does have the IS built into it so that is a plus, and I doubt that I will be buying any lenses once I buy my "package".

I also have a few more questions but this is large enough so I will wait a few days. And its not like I have tried looking this info up, I just need alittle more help from pros like you guys, or at least people that know the "info" lol

I thank any one who will help me out
    Mdashoff
    If you have time, check out some of my pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/mdashoff

Re: Starter DSLR

People have said that the d40 kit lens is better than the xt or xti. I have an XTi and love it, the lens isn't tack sharp or anything like that but does it's job welll. As far as the body of the camera goes, I'd say it's in a level above the D40 (opinion)

The autofocus in the XTi is from the 30D, and is a step up from the XT. Number of points may not matter, but it seems faster and more accurate than my experience with the XT. In my limited experience with the D40, focusing seemed slower than the XTi and similar to an XT...

I bet some others have more informed opinions for you..

Another question, I see the Canon does not have spot metering, would it be a good idea to find a camera that has this, if I want to really try photography?
    If you have time, check out some of my pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/mdashoff

I shoot an XTi but as I have gotten older I have come to the realization that the camera has very little to do with the quality of the photo. If I were starting today I would probably buy a Pentax K100 and wear it out. Not a huge variety of lenses but what there is seems first class. Most people who do it as a hobby only use 2 or 3 lens in a life time of shooting, that or a D40, maybe the E-410 they will all do the job very well.

Ok here is my pickle, I truly want the XTi because of the 9 point auto focus. But the lens it comes with I hear is mediocre and it is a the only lens I will be getting for a while. So I found this deal at B and H on the 40dx and a nice lens( I think) plus the perfect amount of memory.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...amera_Kit.html

And with the rebate I could get most of everything for under a grand. So is the 9 focus points really worth it? would the focus time be that much better? or the ability to work would be much more "cut off" because of the lack of 6 (3 to 9).

If the XTi is the one you want, go for it. The Pentax is a 11 point, Canon 9 and the Nikon? No difference with a good shooter behind the eye piece. Your not going to make a wrong pick given the choices so get the one you want.

With a DSLR you are not buying a camera you are buying a system. While the body is important, if you are really interested in photography you need to be looking at systems. DSLR bodies will come and go, good lenses do not. Nor to the other major accessores. Nikon and Canon probably have the largest selection of lenses and accessories in all price ranges.

Good glass is very important when it comes to good technical results. A great body with second rate glass will not produce the kind of results you want. A good body with great glass however will produce good techincal results. Creative results are up to the photographer.

Define what it is you want to shoot. What you need to take those types of photographs and go from there. Look at entire systems, not just for the present but with an eye to the future. Spot metering is nice but can be worked around. I shoot a lot of sports, so a large amount of focus points do not mean anything to me, I only use one. Don't let alot of fluff get in the way. Learn what you need before you buy and get what you need. The other options are just gravy to make life easier. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mdashoff
    Ok here is my pickle, I truly want the XTi because of the 9 point auto focus. But the lens it comes with I hear is mediocre and it is a the only lens I will be getting for a while. So I found this deal at B and H on the 40dx and a nice lens( I think) plus the perfect amount of memory.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...amera_Kit.html

And with the rebate I could get most of everything for under a grand. So is the 9 focus points really worth it? would the focus time be that much better? or the ability to work would be much more "cut off" because of the lack of 6 (3 to 9).
    I don't find that a large number of focus points is useful most of the time. I go from 5 on the D70 to 11 on the D200 and back without feeling any advantage. A lot of the time I focus on the (most sensitive) center zone then hold focus and frame the image, the way I used to do with the Leica. I sometimes choose an off-center focus zone myself (example : doing a portait on a tripod when the subject's eyes are off center).

There is one exception. If I'm shooting a moving subject in continuous focus mode then the subject is going to switch between focus zones and with more zones there's more chance of staying in focus.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I went with the Pentax K100D For my First DLSR.
    It is virtually the same as any other 6MP model on the market, however it has the built in image stabilizer. thus meaning you wont have to spend big bucks on lenses with IS.
    as for price, they currently have a rebate on the already inexpensive camera. This will leave you with extra money to build on a system (Lenses, Flash, etc.).
    You cant Go wrong with this camera.
    But if you insist on a 10MP model, Look at the K10D.
    w_mone32

I was looking more to 10 mp's, so really whats the difference between the canon XTi and the Nikon d40x? both with the kit lens

Thread Information