Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Looking for a DSLR

I too am looking for a beginner level - semiprofessional DSLR camera. Whether I should go for a beginner level or a semiprofessional, I need suggestion from you. I am not a kind of person who changes camera every year. If purchase a DSLR, I will keep it for at least 5years. Although I might change lens every year or in 2 years. I am not a professional photographer and photography is not my profession either. But I can make it a passion. I go on a lot of vacations, adventures. I would prefer a DSLR for primarily taking scenic beauties, landscapes forests. I will use it to take snaps of occasions like parties and weddings.

"The possibilities are endless. There could be a situation, where I am sitting on a balcony, I would like to take photograph of a building under construction that is more than a mile away, where I can't see things clearly by bare eyes. Want to enjoy as much as possible, taking photographs"

Here are some cameras that came to my attention. Can you suggest me, which one should I go for?

1) Nikon D5200
    2) Nikon D5300
    3) Cannon 700D
    4) Cannon EOS 1200D
    5) Nikon D7000
    6) Nikon D7100

Last 2 cameras are slightly premium, but if the price of these cameras is worth, I can spend that much money. So which DSLRs should I go for?

Re: Looking for a DSLR

those are great camera options you’re considering there. But if you’re looking for a good entry-level camera that takes good picture and is reasonably priced, I suggest you go for a Nikon 5300. It is an upgrade from the D200 & it’s the first Nikon camera with built-in wireless. If you can afford to splurge on a better camera, go for a Nikon D7100 or a Fujifilm x-T1. I know the Fujifilm x-T1 is not on your list of choices but it is by far one of the most impressive premium cameras I’ve ever laid eyes on. And this is coming from one who owns a D700! I’ll probably get an x-t1 next year or once I’ve saved up enough.
    I bought my camera from Grapevine Advertisements for a good price. Hope my comment was helpful!

Hello... I prefer Nikon D5200

Nikon D7100. It's the only semi-professional model in your list
    - 100% viewfinder
    - two control wheels so you don't have to plunge into menus to change parameters when you're working
    - compatible with almost all Nikon lenses not just the recent ones with built-in focus motors
    - excellent sensor

I have one..
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I really like my Nikon D7100 http://amzn.to/12mvS7q

Look at my ad in the camera gear for sale/wanted.....section.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Thanks for posted this thread it will be helpful for me

Thanks. I opened this forum after a long time, because when I saw that I didn't receive any response for almost ten days, I literally gave up. I wI'll always prefer a semi profession Dslr over an entry level. Apart from D7100, what all other semi professional DSLR can you recommend?

These days it is better to look into the world of mirrorless cameras.
    Fuji X-e2 for example would offer a bit more than semi-pro DSLR.

Thumbs up Re: Looking for a DSLR

I am using Nikon D5300 and completely satisfy with the performance and features. I am not a professional photographer, I am a blogger but you can say photography is my passion. I love to shoot family events especially my little star's birthday parties.

Nikon D5300 is best for taking crystal-clear shots and stunning high-definition movie footage. Its rechargeable battery performs well for me and built in Wi-Fi feature lets me wireless connect to my smartphone and share captured footage with my wife, friends and relatives.

I read positive things for Nikon D7100 and now planning to use it too. Previously I though it's expensive but yesterday my friend shared with me an awesome Best Buy Camera Promo Deal - $50 to $200 off on DSLR Cameras Canon, Nikon and Sony plus Free Shipping via CouponPark.com. I am really happy to have this deal now. This deal includes savings on Nikon D5300, Nikon D5200 and Nikon D7100. That's why I am thinking to buy a Nikon D7100 now to memorize my Holidays in the best way. You too can get benefit from this awesome Best Buy deal and save extra money too on your chosen DSLR camera.

Hope you get some help from my answer!

Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for a DSLR-nikon-d5300.jpg  

Thanks for the suggestions. I have recently read some good reviews of Canon 70D. How good is it compared to Nikon D7100 in semi professional race?

Another important these cameras comes with 2 initial lens options

1) 18-55mm lens and
    2) 18-140mm lens

I recently saw in YouTube where in one review they stated that 18-55mm are terrible lens. Is that true? Should I get these cameras withe 18-140mm lens?
    Last edited by maverick786us; 11-14-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Finally I took my chance and purchased Canon D70. Although, being a beginner, I have explored even 5% of it. But everything that I have seen, I am in love with it. Despite the fact that I went for low grade 15-55MM lense, as 15-135MM was slightly out of budget that time. I took some outdoor photographs and these images turned out to be good.

Other features that I like are..
    1. Fully automated touchscreen
    2. Direct connection with a smartphone using wifi.
    3. Selfie and controlling everything using the smartphone.
    4. Dual pixels continously focusing system

Can someone suggest me a lense having OIS for outdoor photography specially for long distance zoom?

Sorry to see that no one has replied to your post, but then it's been very quiet here for a while now. Try re-posting under Canon Camera equipment and see if someone answers.
    I'm not a Canon guy.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Canon EOS 1200D

Embrace every opportunity

Capture the emotion of the moment, with a DSLR camera that’s easy to use and delivers results you’ll love.

Record life’s special moments with high quality photos and movies
    Capture detail and ambience, even in dark conditions
    Shoot with the right settings using Scene Intelligent Auto mode
    Simple step-by-step Feature Guide and EOS Companion app
    Enhance your memories and be artistic with Creative filters

Thread Information