Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Fotopro X4i-E tripod

Not sure if this is the right place for my question, but does anyone have this tripod, and if so how do you like it ?
    Any feedback is appreciated.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Re: Fotopro X4i-E tripod

Quote Originally Posted by volks View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place for my question, but does anyone have this tripod, and if so how do you like it ?
    Since we don't have a tripods forum, this is as good a place as any, volks

I haven't used any of the Fotopro stuff. However, I know the guys at Custom SLR and I've used their stuff and it's excellent. They just started distributing the Fotopro tripods in the US and if they're behind it, that makes me think it must be pretty good. However, I am also anxious to get see a first-person report on Fotopro tripods. Their pricing looks a little too good to be true. That's my only concern.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

John, that's why the question. The pricing looks very good for supposedly what one is getting. Hopefully someone here has one already.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Found one 5 star review from someone who bought one recently in Canada, dated August 13th.

"This tripod is my favorite travel companion. It is ideal for any trip where you spend a lot of time on your feet. Its light and compact enough that you'll never leave it in the hotel."
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Went to my local camera store today and had a look at the Fotopro X4i-E tripod and found it a tad too short, even for someone like myself at 5'9", so ended up buying the C5-i.

Will comment upon return of our upcoming trip.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Went to my local camera store today and had a look at the Fotopro X4i-E tripod and found it a tad too short, even for someone like myself at 5'9", so ended up buying the C5-i.

Will comment upon return of our upcoming trip.
    Thanks! When I was writing my intro article on the Fotopro tripods, I did notice that they all seemed a bit on the short side. That's great for travel. But for an all-purpose tripod it's not so great. Plus, I already have a travel tripod.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts after you get to use it for a bit.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Took the C5-i tripod along on a recent trip. First it's still fairly compact and light. Must admit it's a bit of a pain when trying to use at a busy crowded tourist stop. For landscape shots when all by yourself it's much better. Also found very little difference between tripod shots and handheld shots. Maybe reading the article on how to hold your dslr camera paid off.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

I rarely use a tripod any more unless I'm dooing something "experimental" at night, or unless I'm bracketing exposures for HDR. If I'm Really Really Working for that perfect shot of the mountains or the sunset or the beach or whatever, the tripod helps make sure the camera is really horizontal, without having to rotate and crop afterwards.

I have a Bogen 3221 that's a real workhorse. Too big for a "travel" tripod, and it's definitely not all that compact, but I can carry it on the motorcycle by bungeeing it across the pillion seat. It extends to 7 feet, so too short is not a problem. It's also strong enough for me to hang from it! I tried it once just to see.

Wfooshee, looks like I will be doing the same. I'll still will take the tripod along on trips, but will pull it out less often. As mentioned before, learning how to hold your camera and the improved VR on lenses, does really lessen the need of a tripod quite a bit.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Edc

Hi, does anyone know which tripod is better? The Fotopro X4i or the Fotopro X4i-E? I know the X4i uses the FPH-53P ball head and X4i-E uses the FPH-42Q ball head. The FPH-42Q looks like it has an extra knob for panning, but FPH-53P doesn't but might be newer (I'm not 100%). Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thread Information