Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Long lens for a DRebel XT

I will be upgrading to a digital SLR setup (Nikon N70 to a Canon DRebel XT) and would like some advice on a good long lens choice. I'll be starting from scratch due to the change from Nikon (film) gear to Canon (digital), so I will be getting the "kit" lens to start. I like to do a lot of nature photography (mostly elk, deer, bear, etc), and also try to shoot at my kids football/swimming practices so I will need a longer lens for those times.
    I have a 80-200 f2.8 and a 300 f4 that I love to use on the film camera.
    I've also started to dabble in some macro work as well.
    So for the DRebel XT what are some recommendations for a long lens (zoom or fixed) and a decent macro lens that won't break a small bank?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    AZHusker

Re: Long lens for a DRebel XT

Is there a reason you are getting the XT instead of the D70? Both are about the same price, but when you add in the cost of replacing those lenses, it doesn't seem worth it to make the switch...

I don't know how to put this, but...I'm kind of a big deal...People know me.

My Dumb Web Page

The Canon versions of the same lenses you have for your Nikon are excellent lenses. The 80-200 f/2.8L has be replaced by the 70-200 f/2.8L, f/2.8L IS, and f/4L. The 300 f/4L has been replaced by the 300 f/4L IS. I personally own the 80-200 f/2.8L and the 300 f/4L and they are very sharp. I have a little experience with the 70-200 f/4 it is a lighter weight slower lens that is also very sharp.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Talking Re: Long lens for a DRebel XT

I have to aggree with what DownByFive said, the XT is a great camera I just got one and love it, but I sound like you have some nice Nikon glass already. Have you considered a Nikon dSLR or do you have specific reasons to change brands. Not trying to change you mind but the extra money you spend changing system could go to some nice new lens.
    If every morning when you wake your goal is to straighten out people, you probably should be a funeral director. - Charles Lowery

Re: Long lens for a DRebel XT-Why not go with Nikon D70....

I understand that a D70 purchase would be easy and would allow me to keep my Nikon glass. I have, however, for quite some time now wanted to change over to Canon equipment. I had been looking at the Elan 7 and EOS 3 systems before making the decision to go digital. I also own a Powershot A85 (granted, a much different level of equipment), and like the fact that the menues are largley the same as the Canon EOS digital equipment.
    My reasons are varied for wanting to change to Canon, but they are sure.
    Thanks
    AZHusker

Smile Re: Long lens for a DRebel XT

Well if that's the case I think you will love the Rebel XT. I got mine in on a Thursday afternoon and used it to photograph a wedding on Saturday. You are correct in that the menus are very similar to some of the Canon p&s cameras. I have a A75 and found getting around and changing setting quite easy to do.

B&H has a Canon 50mm f2.8 Macro for $239.95
    and a Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro for $469.95

Welcome to the Clan O'Cannon

If every morning when you wake your goal is to straighten out people, you probably should be a funeral director. - Charles Lowery

Freelance Photographer meeksdigital's Avatar

i would reconsider my choice of cameras if i were you. the rebel is an okay camera... definitely upgraded from the original d-rebel. however, for only a couple hundred more bucks, you get so much more with the 20D, including metal body, faster burst shooting and a bigger buffer....
    just my opinion. the reason im saying this is, as you get better, you will grow out of the rebel, as i did.

now for the lens question.
    if you can afford it, get the best glass available. i just switched to the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens, and it is incredible. i think B&H has it for about $1699 at the moment. it definitely beats consumer lenses hands down. i have a tamron 28-200mm XR lens that i use on my film camera now, but i am going to get rid of because the quality is just horrible compared to the Canon lenses.
    If you want more zoom from that 70-200mm Canon lens, you can couple it with the 1.4x EF Extender, which will turn it into a 98-280mm f/4 lens.

if you have any questions, feel free to PM or e-mail me. photos taken with the canon 20D/ 70-200mm combo can be seen on my website at: www.meeksdigital.com
    Last edited by meeksdigital; 04-13-2005 at 12:24 PM.
    Trevor Meeks
    MeeksDigital Photography
    http://www.meeksdigital.com

Flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving of any mistakes, neglect or inattention to detail

Thread Information