Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Question lense kits suggestions

hey
    at the end of next month ill be buying my first DSLR the canon rebel T1i/500D,
    im looking at getting 2-3 lenses, the kit 18-55mm lense, the canon 55-250mm lense and the tamron 18-200mm lense.
    does anyone have any suggestions/changes?
    i have a budget of about 1000 pounds (im in the UK) including the camera and i mainly shoot landscapes and all kinds off sport, and a holiday in the summer, aswell as abit of portait.
    i look forward to hear from you
    thankyou in advance for your advice!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: lense kits suggestions

I really don't know anything about the lenses you mentioned but I do have a question. What do you want to photograph? The more you can tell us about what you want to photograph, the better advice people will be able to give you.

When I first saw the lenses you have listed a red flag went up for me on the 55-250mm & 18-200mm lenses. Both of these lenses have a pretty decent zoom range, but there is so much overlap that it doesn't make much sense to me to have them both. The 18-55mm & 55-250mm lenses would cover the same range as the 18-200mm lens, and then some. Having these 2 lenses would eliminate the need for the 18-200mm lens unless you want that entire range in one lens. If that's the case, I would go with the 18-200mm lens and skip the other 2.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Well I do mainly landscape, scenary. At the moment I mainly shoot on my holidays, but I want to get more into photography an expand my photography.
    Well I did think the same thing as you, that's why I came to this forum for some advice, the reason Is basically because when Im on holiday I may not want to change my lenses to often or I go somewhere that I can't change them easily, so it was the do it all lense lol however as you said, they do cover the same focal ranges so I may not need all 3, maybe 1 for a different lense. I want good quality lenses but I don't have much money so any help will be massivly appriciated!

Ok Ive been looking around, Ive revised my thinking a little, Im getting the 500D and getting with it one of the following:

Tamron 70-300mm f4/5.6 DI LD Macro
    Canon EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS

or to save about 70 pounds

Tamron 18-270mm f3.5-6.3 Di II VC

Those lenses and camera will cost me about 1050 pounds, (im sorry the pound sign on my keyboard seems to have vanished recently) i could stretch to 1100-1200.
    has anyone used any of these lenses? and would you say that would give a decent start off in my DSLR life?
    what would you guys suggest?

i would love to get an L seris lense, but i dont think im going to be able to afford that right now!

Have you checked out the reviews on this site for those lenses? I haven't used any of them so I can't really comment on those specifically other than to say that I think the 18-270mm is going to be too slow at the long end.

Have you looked at the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens? It's only about $600 US, has very good reviews and has IS. You could get the T1i body with this lens for around $1250 US and have yourself a pretty good starter kit.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Ah kl, thanks dude! I still havnt got used to the aperture thing yet lol Ill have a look at some reviews, I havnt looked at many, just the ones in the mags I got.
    I could get the 18-200mm and maybe a 50mm lense, ive been told there good lenses.

I was going to suggest a 50mm lens but I didn't know if it was in your budget. I still don't have the hang of converting pounds to $. The 50mm f/1.8 is a great little lens for the price. Nice and light weight too. I have also heard great things about the f1.4 version.
    Last edited by mjs1973; 01-26-2010 at 05:46 PM.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Lol no nor me! Lol I think u guys get things cheaper than us any way, the 50mm f/1.8 is £100 over here, which is probably sumat like $150 but I think u can get it for about $100? I could be extreamly wrong on that tho lol ooo nice, I'll have to have a look at that one, I can possibly squeeze it in lol might to do abit of bartering to see if they will do it a little cheaper lol

Thread Information