Lens Shades

Printable View

• 12-30-2007, 08:20 AM
    NY_Trekker
    Lens Shades
    Hi everyone. I'm all brand new to this so I have no idea what I'm doing. My buddy has been doing this for some time and I have the itch now to do it myself.

I have a question about the lens shades you get with the camera. What are they for and when are you supposed to use them?

I bought an E-510 dual lens kit.

Thanks

Jeff
  • 12-30-2007, 09:21 AM
    EOSThree
    Re: Lens Shades
    They are for protection. They serve a dual role in protection, first they protect the front element from bumps and bruises, and second they protect the front element from stray light entering keeping flare down.
  • 12-30-2007, 09:26 AM
    Frog
    Mine are on just about always but I'm sure there are times when you might want that stray light.
    They make it look like your have pro equipment too :D
  • 12-30-2007, 10:44 AM
    Medley
    Have you ever shaded your eyes from the sun so you could see something better? Same concept.

- Joe U.
  • 12-30-2007, 11:05 AM
    Greg McCary
    Also they look cool....It makes you look like you know what you are doing:cool: But seriously, I dropped my camera when I first got it and am sure without the hood I would have damaged the lens.
  • 12-30-2007, 02:04 PM
    NY_Trekker
    Thanks for the input. I'll be sure to posts some pics so all of you and myself can monitor my progress.

Jeff
  • 12-30-2007, 04:34 PM
    awboy
    I'm always conflicted about the shade......I think it actually makes you look like a tool. I get enough weird looks as I'm walking around taking pictures everywhere and don't want any more attention. It can make a difference though in well lit scenes and should be used for protection.

In the end, I really feel that it is all about personal preference though. Decide which way looks better or is more comfortable and go with it!
  • 12-31-2007, 04:32 PM
    mn shutterbug
    I leave my on, just to be on the safe side. A new lens hood would be a heck of a lot cheaper than a new lens.
  • 12-31-2007, 08:33 PM
    drg
    Lens Flare, Lens Flare, Lens Flare.

Speaking loudly not shouting, elimination of this is the photographic benefit that will improve your success ratio with photographs when using a Hood(shade).

The protection element is also important if using a long zoom (wide to telephoto i.e. 50-200 or the like) where the lens may be extending further out than you realize and you whack it!

The quality of your photos though will be what really benefits. Most outdoor photos will suffer from not having a hood on the lens as there is always reflected light and flashes that cross your lens at the 'bad angle' and either fuzz up the photo, or cause real actual starburst type flares or 'blobs'.

You may see people not using a hood either in a controlled setting like a studio or when using Polarizers or external modifying filters. In bright outdoor conditions, use one when in doubt.

Best wishes and post some photos!
  • 01-01-2008, 02:22 AM
    JSPhoto
    For those not wanting to spend a bunch of money for a lens hood heres a "poor mans" lens hood....

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...171#post258171

JS
  • 01-01-2008, 08:38 AM
    Frog
    good idea......you had to dig for that thread didn't you...lol
  • 01-01-2008, 01:59 PM
    JSPhoto
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frog
    good idea......you had to dig for that thread didn't you...lol

Actually it wasn't buried that deep.... just lucky I guess :)

JS
  • 01-01-2008, 02:34 PM
    Franglais
    I use mine all the time to avoid getting stray light onto the lens (can cause flare). It also protects the lens from collisions (to some extent).

To the person who wants to go unnoticed with his 17-55 f2.8 - well you could always get a second, more reasonably-sized lens like the 18-70 or 18-200. I use my BIG 28-70 f2.8 when I want to impose on the other photographers present, with lens hood of course.