Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

My dilemma....Nikon D80, Nikon D40x or the Olympus E510 - Which one to buy

Hi everyone......I have been out of photography for about 10 - 12 years and I am looking to get back into it with a new DSLR. Now I have it narrowed down to 3 camera systems and I can't decide which one to get
    - Nikon D80 w/ 18 - 135mm lens
    - Nikon D40x w/ 18 - 135mm lens
    - Olympus E510 w/ 14 - 42mm & 40 - 150mm lenses

Now money is not really an issue with these 3 systems but I do not want to spend extra money if it is not needed. The Olympus seems like the camera with the most features and a cheaper price tag and I almost had myself convinced to go this route because of their IS and dust control, but I am being pulled towards the Nikon's. The Nikon's from what I read and hear about are good cameras and possibly better than the Olympus.
    I will be basically shooting landscape, nature, portraits and general family photos.

Thanks for all your help and advice,

Gus

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: My dilemma....Nikon D80, Nikon D40x or the Olympus E510 - Which one to buy

I have the d80 with the 18-135 which is the lens that it is on my camera 90% of the time.
    I think you'd be pleased with its featrues over that of the d40x.
    If money is not a big issue, I'd go with an 18-200 vr lens instead though. I think the 18-135 is a good lens, though it does have some vignetting problems wide open, but the 18-200 is worth the extra price imho.
    Can't speak for the Olympus but now that this thread isn't so buried,(sorry to have missed it), some Oly users can put their thoughts in.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

i also have the 18-135 and would reccomend getting the 18-200 vr as well, probbably with the d80.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

As above, the D80/18-200VR combo will be tough to beat. I just wish Canon had an 18-200IS.

The Oly is a great camera. Never doubt that. And from my experience in metallurgical labs, Olympus KNOWS how to make a lens. And they make great ones. But you will find that Nikon and Canon have far larger "systems" for their DSLRs. And at high ISO settings, the Canikon will have better IQ than the Oly, but probably not noticeable until you start large blowups.

Me, of those I'd go D80. But I'd really go Canon XTi but that's not on your list. And I just happen to have Canon gear and don't intend to change barring an improvement in another brand that would rival the second coming.

One thing that everyone knows and few admit is, all the new DSLRs in class by class comparisons are pretty much equal until you get into the upper pro level stuff and there it's Canon with Nikon close and everybody else way back. But at the consumer/prosumer level, pick what feels good in your hands and has the extra little features you would like. Dig under the hype and really find which system you want into, because they all are systems. And once you start into a system, basically you just want to continue with that system rather than a complete start over.

I know I did not answer your question, but I hope I gave you a little more to ponder. Good luck with your choice and NEVER look back and say "I coulda had a ___________" You can't buy a bad system from the big 4, 5 or 6 manufacturers,. (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, Sony) The only thing different will be the systems to go with them.

YMMV
    The world is full of people who can hear a loud bang, feel a sharp pain in their foot, notice smoke trickling from their holster........ And never put it all together.

Canon EOS Rebel XT DSLR; Canon EOS Rebel K2 35 mm SLR, Canon Powershot S5IS Compact; Canon Photura 35 mm P&S (Definitely not compact. Probably the best 35 P&S ever)

The first real camera I bought was a Nikon F with the FTN meter on it back in 1970. Purchased a second one later as a back up and they have served me well and still do. I now own the Nikon D80 with the 18-200Vr zoom that you are considering. I am very happy with this combination and highly recommend the pair.

I would like to add that I am not familiar with the other cameras you mentioned to be able to compare them against one another. I can say I am very happy with what I have and would suggest getting the 18-200VR zoom instead of the 18-135 zoom. I think you will be a lot happier, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thread Information