Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Canon Rebel XT or Nikon D40x

Hello everyone, my wife wants a new camera for christmas. We have the choices narrowed down to either a Canon Rebel XT or a Nikon D40x. Unless someone has a better suggestion.

Her current camera is a Sony 5 megapixel wsc-5 from the cybershot family. My wife would really like to get into some amateur photography stuff - maybe even doing family pictures or pictures of weddings on the side.

The local college will be giving a photography class next spring, so she wants me to take the class with her.

Price range is < $700.

Any suggestions or other input?

Tel

Re: Canon Rebel XT or Nikon D40x

She wants to do portrait stuff, no?

I'd say the XT with the 50MM 1.8.

I wouldn't go for the D40X for lack of an AF Motor.

Canon Digital Rebel with Quantray 19-35 F3.5-4.5 basically Glued on. :P

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

You really can't go wrong with either one. Both will treat you well. My suggestion, if you haven't already is to go to a store and get your hands on both of them. Buy the one that feels the best in your hands. Make sure all the controls are easy to reach, and use.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Tel
    I wouldn't go for the D40X for lack of an AF Motor.
    Quick explanation - in the past, most autofocus lenses had the focusing motor in the camera body but in the last few years, most new lenses introduced have had the motor built into the lens. It's really a better system, but the downside is that some of the currently available but older designs in lenses won't autofocus with this camera. This may or may not be an issue down the road. You'll just need to use AF-S lenses for autofocusing (Nikon's designation for lenses with built-in focusing motors).

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

another view is right....too much is made of the d40 or d40x not being able to auto focus with some lenses. All the newer lenses will have auto focus motor and the camera works just fine with them.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I'm a Nikon user, and I have been very happy with the Look of the images (digital and film). But go and try both cameras, and make sure that the menu system and physical fit in your hands is good. DO not purchase a camera on specs only. The camera you have to be able to use your way, and use of the menu system and the fit to your hands will make all the difference in the world. Both cameras are excellent cameras.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

XT is 8 mpixels, 40x is 10mpixels.

XT is compatible with all EOS compatible lenses, 40x need lenses with the AF motor embedded on the lens.

A better comparison will be a XTi and the 40x and to me the XTi is the better of the two.

You'll be happy with either, both are great cameras.
    Nikon D5000

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

If you're thinking about the XT, I would suggest stepping up to the XTi as well. I think this is the best bang for the buck in the Canon line up right now. You can get one with a kit lens for around $660.

Have you considered any of the other brands like Pentax, Sony or Olympus? I know Photo John (runs this site) is a big advocate of those systems for new photographers looking to step up to a DSLR because of the image stabilization being built into the camera bodies. All three of these companies have kits that are well within your price range. You can get an Olympus E-510 with 2 lenses for $675 at B&H.

I still stick with my original comment about going to a store and trying them out first, then make your decision.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

My personal unbiased opinion is that the Pentax K10D rocks both of those...Take a look at it and compare the features....
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

This is like the Ford vs. Chevy arguments. Everybody will have an opinion and that usually falls to what they use. I have the D40x and love it. I have had it since August and it was my first DSLR and I have no regrets. I think either the Rebel XTi or the D40x would be great choices as would some of the others.

My personal opinion on the image stabilization, and this is my opinion only is that I would rather have it in the lens. Same way with the focus motor. That way if either goes out you can slap on another lens and continue to use the camera. This is strictly my personal opinion.

Thread Information