Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

How To Protect Your Camera During Raining Season

How you guys can shot safely without worry too much about the rain water is going to drop on your camera? esp fr street photography? or during winter season esp when your hand kind of numb.

Re: How To Protect Your Camera During Raining Season

A great seasonal question, avalonX! We actually just posted an article about rain gear for cameras in our articles section:

Photography Rain Gear >>

I do a lot of mountain bike photography and sometimes ride with a camera in the rain or shoot an event in wet weather. A few years ago I took my camera to an outdoor gear dealer and so I could get a good rain jacket that fit over my camera so I could keep it on ne at events no matter what the weather. Now, unless I'm shooting, my camera stays covered under my raingear. I also don't worry about rain as much as other photographers. I've had all kinds of different cameras out in all kinds of weather and I've yet to have one fail. I shot an event in the pouring rain with my Canon XTi / 400D this spring just to see if it could handle it. Basically, after the first even where it poured on me and I didn't have a choice, I learned that the equipment could take a lot more than I thought. You just have to take it home and dry it carefully. At spring events my motel room is often covered with cameras and lense with caps off so they can dry out. It's been 7 years since that first big rainstorm, and so far so good.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

A Couple Of Photos

Here are a couple of photos I took just to show you that I'm not just talking about point-and-shoot cameras. That's a Canon EOS-1D Mark III with a 70-200 f/2.8L. I can even get a flash in there, if I need to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How To Protect Your Camera During Raining Season-_mg_5756.jpg   How To Protect Your Camera During Raining Season-_mg_5757.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

thanks John fr the reply! tht is really helpful btw, hahah I tried the supermarket plastic bag but that doesn't work very effectively

PJ, I'm cracking up because I do the exact same thing with the exact same camera equipment. I look about 6 months pg though.

Also I have a camera cover that goes on my camera if it starts raining hard. I found mine at the local camera shop.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

I usually just wear a baggy rain coat but a buddy of mine made a good suggestion. Get a cheap clear plastic bathing cap with the elastic edging and you could fit it over the camera from the back (elastic fitting around your lense) and cut small holes for your camera strap. I think I will try this out when I get a chance... I wish I knew this last week when I was hiking around a rainy conservatory with either my jacket bulging or my hand over top of my D70 the entire time.
    :idea:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Op/Tech USA 18" RainSleeve - for Camera with Lens up to 7.0" in Diameter and 18" in Length (Set of 2) $6.50

My SmugMug Galleries

FZ30
    D50
    Nikon 35 f/2 DX
    Nikkor 18-70 DX
    Tamron 70-300 LD Macro
    Bigma 50-500 :thumbsup:
    Nikon 70-300 VR :thumbsup:
    SB600 Flash
    Kenko Pro 300 DG 1.4X TC & Sigma EX 1.4X TC
    682B Bogen Monopod
    Wolverine 60-GB MVP