• 01-24-2009, 09:41 PM
    A.M.D.A.
    Lens control-rings relative placement
    I've noticed that many of the newer zoom lenses from several major manufacturers (Canon, Sony, Sigma, and especially Nikon), have the MF-ring closer to the lens mount, and the zoom ring farther from the lens mount. Not too long ago all lenses had zoom close/MF far.

What is your preference, is MF-close more user friendly or convenient?
  • 01-25-2009, 06:49 AM
    Loupey
    Re: Lens control-rings relative placement
    Ergonomically, one puts the control most used the farthest away - because that's where the thumb and index finger are.

The flip between the zoom and focus ring reflect the fundamental shift occuring in photographers' shooting habits. The reliance/preference on auto focus and zooms.

I remember a time when zooms were, by far, a minority in a lens line-up and autofocus wasn't even developed. Now, many of the newer lenses have barely a focus ring.

The three zooms I currently own (Canon 16-35mm, 24-105mm, and 70-200mm) all have it "correctly" - the focus ring out front. I tried the 28-135mm for about a week but couldn't stand the flipped orientation.
  • 02-12-2009, 10:58 AM
    straightarm
    Quote:

Originally Posted by A.M.D.A.
    What is your preference, is MF-close more user friendly or convenient?

I virtually never use MF, the zoom ring is the only one I use. As long as that is convenient, I'm happy
  • 02-12-2009, 09:59 PM
    Anbesol
    I very much prefer them on the outer edge. What possible reason could manufacturers put them in front for? Even with the greater reliance on auto-focus, whats the point? I can't imagine a zoom working better on the front...
  • 02-13-2009, 02:40 PM
    A.M.D.A.
    Thanks for the responses. When Loupey replied I must have had accidentally deleted to email notification before reading... :blush2: