lens cleaning

Printable View

• 03-10-2010, 07:19 AM
    ronin2307
    lens cleaning
    what is the proper way to clean lens glass? I have some inevitable minor finger smudges on the front part of my lens and have been reading about various cleaning kits etc.
    also, i have read really good reviews about LensPen cleaning tool, but dont know how legit that thing is.
    any advice will be appreciated as i dont want to damage my lenses
  • 03-10-2010, 08:01 AM
    CaraRose
    Re: lens cleaning
    I use my eyeglass cleaner spray (super safe for any sort of lenses and coating) and a either a lens tissue or a microfiber cloth.
  • 03-10-2010, 08:20 AM
    mjs1973
    I do the same as Cara. Eyeglass cleaner or lens cleaner and lens tissue. Put the fluid on the tissue, not directly on the lens!

I have heard lots of good things about the LensPen but have never used one.

If you don't have lens tissue or can't buy them locally, I have also used cigarette rolling papers. Pretty much the same thing and available at most grocery stores or gas stations. My T shirt also works in a pinch too.
  • 03-10-2010, 08:24 AM
    ronin2307
    i gotta order some stuff off amazon anyway and just want to make sure i get the right stuff. thx for the advice
  • 03-10-2010, 08:29 AM
    Frog
    lens cleaner, lens tissue, micorfibre cloth, and yes the lens pen works great.
  • 03-10-2010, 12:13 PM
    SmartWombat
    I use a microfibre cloth and Pentax lens spray (for glasses) in an emergency.
    Normally I use Eclipse fluid and pec-pads.
    But you can't fly with Eclipse fluid so when going abroad I use Pentax spray.
  • 03-10-2010, 01:53 PM
    Franglais
    If I don't have anything else then I use tissue paper:

- Fold the paper into a tube so that it has a point but is still flexible
    - Breathe on the lens so it gets condensation
    - Hold the paper by the tube and gently rub the point on the lens covered in condensation in little circles
    - Breathe on the lens as often as needed to keep the condensation

Note that all my lenses have UV filters. I only do this operation on the filter, not the lens itself
  • 03-12-2010, 06:56 AM
    Iguanamom
    I have a couple microfiber cloths I like and they work well. Lens paper for when I can't find those. Breath condensation when needed. Works with filters and with front elements.
  • 03-12-2010, 07:06 AM
    ronin2307
    thx everybody for the replies