Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

If only I could afford it.

Just read up on the new Lieca M9 camera.
    Found it interesting that this camera seems to be the only digital camera made today that is as good and simple to use as the good old film cameras.
    Have always felt that digital SLR cameras are way too complicated to use if you want to get the most out of them.
    Hopefully one day all digital slr's will come closer to the M9's simplicity.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Re: If only I could afford it.

How about fujifilm X100?

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by volks
    Just read up on the new Lieca M9 camera.
    Found it interesting that this camera seems to be the only digital camera made today that is as good and simple to use as the good old film cameras.
    Have always felt that digital SLR cameras are way too complicated to use if you want to get the most out of them.
    Hopefully one day all digital slr's will come closer to the M9's simplicity.
    LOL! User control is good. Film is less user control so simpler camera. I don't want to go backwards.

I've looked that M9. Do you really believe this camera is as "simple to use" as a film camera? It's no different than dozens of other, much cheaper, digicams. I think you are being blinded by an ideal in your head rather than the reality.

Nice camera, cool look, large sensor. But certainly nothing new in the UI.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Well, you guys might be right... maybe I was influenced by some of the reviews.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

haha, cool camera, stupid price. I'd rather get 14 rebels.

n8

I love the look of these new retro models, but that is the style is the only reason I would entertain getting one...especially since the leica and fuji have fixed lenses. Volks, I see you have p7000...I've been considering one of those for myself (love the design of those too). Could you share a bit about it or write a review on it?
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by volks
    ...Hopefully one day all digital slr's will come closer to the M9's simplicity.
    Just shoot in full manual exposure mode with full manual focus - wallah you have film camera simplicity (with the exception of white balance control).

I'll invoice you $3,500 for the advice that saved you $7k and call it even
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Ok guys, I get the message. Still think it's a cool camera, and if I ever win the lottery, I'll get one and let you know what I think, but don't hold your breath. :-)
    Regarding the p7000, we bought that basically for my wife and the main reason for buying it was the fast start up time. The p7000 is certainly faster than the p5100 that it replaced.
    All I can say that so far my wife is happy with the picture and video quality.
    We are both novices when it comes to photography, so can't give you a detailed review.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

I know that this is not the place to discuss compact cameras, but since n8 asked about my p7000 I just wanted to expand a little on my last post.
    When trying to take a shot out of our car when traveling my wife would constantly complain about how long it took for her p5100 to start up and then complain again about the shot to shot time, and I found that the p7000 was one of the fastest in both areas. As far as she is concerned, all compact cameras should be instant on like SLR's. Also, since I do use it as well sometimes, a view finder is a must for me.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Quote Originally Posted by n8
    I love the look of these new retro models, but that is the style is the only reason I would entertain getting one...especially since the leica and fuji have fixed lenses. Volks, I see you have p7000...I've been considering one of those for myself (love the design of those too). Could you share a bit about it or write a review on it?
    The Leica M9 doesn't have a fixed lens. It's an actual Leica M-Series rangefinder that uses all the M lenses. It just happens to be digital. And really expensive. And yeah, I want one, too
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The M9 is a great camera. I just wonder will it's longevity be as good as it's film predecessors not to mention it's value. Most of the old M cameras probably cost more now than they did new.
    Definitely over priced. But if it would last a lifetime without the need for an upgrade, maybe not so much.
    I am sure my M6/M3 will out live me to be passed to my kids. if film is still around they will enjoy them too.
    Do I want an M9? yes. Would I buy one? no. There is just to much more you can do with that kind of cash when it comes
    to equipment and I wonder if they will still be working in ten to twenty years.
    The M8s are still around $2500.00 used and have been problematic from day one.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

But if I win the lottery, it will be an S2. Forget the M9.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

An inheritance enabled a Leica M8 and CV 35 f 2.5 Color Scopar / Elmar / Sonnar in 39mm with adapter .
    Sensibly , I could have bought a stunning DSLR which , by now would be old news .

It's just a delight to use , so I invested in a Contax Rangefinder adapter to use a stunning Helios , pre-war Sonnar and Sonnar mounted 50 f1.5 Jupiter 3 .
    Just 'cos I love vintage lenses .
    I use it sparingly , 'cos I will never be able to afford to fix it when it dies .

So what that it does little more than a compact , and with more difficulty - it's just stunning .

Well if you compare the M9 to other FF cameras and the S2 to it's competition, maybe the prices aren't that out of line.
    Maybe one day someone will make a FF rangefinder that is affordable. Something in the price range of the RD-1. But we are getting way off of the subject.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information