Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: 'fuzzy' photos?

'fuzzy' photos?

Hi all,

I've noticed that some of my photos come out a bit 'fuzzy'. I'm quite new to DSLR photography so I'm hoping I'm just making some beginner mistake. Below is a photo from a recent trip to Egypt that seems fuzzy to me. Other photos turned out great, so maybe it's lighting or haze? I'm using a Nikon D40, 18-55mm lens, and either a Hoya Pro 1D circular polarizer or UV filter. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: 'fuzzy' photos?

Not sure but it looks like camera movement to me.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Can you post the exif, in other words iso, shutter speed, aperture?
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Here's the info I can pull from Capture NX. If it is indeed camera shake, would I have gotten a crisper shot with a VR lens?

If you are getting camera shake at 18mm shot at 1/320 second, you need practice gently depressing the shutter, not mashing it. If you are a bit unsteady, VR would help. In reality, you should be able to handhold that lens at 18mm (270mm crop factor), at a shutter speed as slow as 1/270 second. If VR works as well as IS on Canon lenses, you should be able to shoot at 2 shutter speeds slower.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Yeah, 1/320th doesn't usually relate to camera shake unless you were riding a fast camel or something.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by mn shutterbug
    If you are getting camera shake at 18mm shot at 1/320 second, you need practice gently depressing the shutter, not mashing it. If you are a bit unsteady, VR would help. In reality, you should be able to handhold that lens at 18mm (270mm crop factor), at a shutter speed as slow as 1/270 second. If VR works as well as IS on Canon lenses, you should be able to shoot at 2 shutter speeds slower.
    I hold my 5D with a 24-70mm without IS at 1/40th and still get a sharp pic. I can't believe that the Nikon is that bad you have to be at 1/270th.

One thing is the country and time of day which looks like middle of the day from the lack of shadows which in Egypt can cause a heat haze which can make things a little hazy.

Would need to see the pic at full size to make sure. I assume that your stance, breathing, and shutter depression is smooth at the point of taking. You need to be like a sniper when taking photo's at slow shutter speeds. I assume this as other shots are fine.

One more thing. As a critique of your composition, you have a lot of wasted space in the foreground. Perhaps a little closer next time.

Hope that helps

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thanks everyone for the input. After reading the comments I asked someone else who was there for a few of their photos and they have similar issues - so I think the dusty haze must have at least played some part. (He was using a pocket digital and as he reminded me, there were a lot of people walking around kicking up dust). Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate the feedback.

Roger - thanks for the composition feedback. I'll try that advice on my upcoming trip.

Thread Information