Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Sell or stay

Sell or stay

Alright, well, i posted back here a while ago, after my 35mm Pentax broke. Im currently looking into Pentax digital cameras, particularly the *ist DL. I found this camera to be suitable for the price range that im in, and having already had a great experiance with my 35mm, id love to own another Pentax camera. So anyway, i received a quote from KEH for my two lenses (an SMC Pentax-A 1:2.8 135mm and a SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm) and i was quoted via email for $130, in the mean time i sent my lenses in, so that they could give me an exact amount. So, anyway, here is the problem im faced with; would it be better for me to sell these two lenses (saying that the $130 is appropriate) and put the money towards the camera, or should i keep them, and simply but a body only, or maybe possibly buy it body only, and trade my lenses for a new one(s).

I really appreciate all of your input. ;)

Re: Sell or stay

I would not do anything until you decide if your going to purchase a body or repair your existing camera. If you can always sell them after you make a final decision.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoudPicture
    Alright, well, i posted back here a while ago, after my 35mm Pentax broke. Im currently looking into Pentax digital cameras, particularly the *ist DL. I found this camera to be suitable for the price range that im in, and having already had a great experiance with my 35mm, id love to own another Pentax camera. So anyway, i received a quote from KEH for my two lenses (an SMC Pentax-A 1:2.8 135mm and a SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm) and i was quoted via email for $130, in the mean time i sent my lenses in, so that they could give me an exact amount. So, anyway, here is the problem im faced with; would it be better for me to sell these two lenses (saying that the $130 is appropriate) and put the money towards the camera, or should i keep them, and simply but a body only, or maybe possibly buy it body only, and trade my lenses for a new one(s).

I really appreciate all of your input. ;)
    I'm a little confused. You do realize that these Pentax lenses can be used on Pentax digital cameras. Why sell them at all?
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Yes, Yes, i do know that i could use my pentax lenses on a pentax digital camera. And No, i do not want to repair the 35mm, as it would not be worth the cost.

As far as lenses go, im not sure if im going to go after a pentax camera or another brand, it is free for me to request for them to send me back the lenses, so thats not a problem.

Keep Them

would it be better for me to sell these two lenses (saying that the $130 is appropriate) and put the money towards the camera, or should i keep them, and simply but a body only, or maybe possibly buy it body only, and trade my lenses for a new one(s).
    I'd keep the lenses. They'll be very nice to have if you decide to buy the Pentax digital SLR. It seems to me the real question is whether your going to go with a Pentax or another brand.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Well sorry guys, but i didnt take your advice, and you'll probably be hearing me beating at myself for selling it, I simply dont have the money to keep the lense and still buy the camera, there is no way at all. Well anyway, it will give me a great amount to add to my camera fund, so i hope it all works out. Either way, im pretty sure im going to go with the Pentax *ist DL

Well sorry guys, but i didnt take your advice, and you'll probably be hearing me beating at myself for selling it, I simply dont have the money to keep the lense and still buy the camera, there is no way at all. Well anyway, it will give me a great amount to add to my camera fund, so i hope it all works out. Either way, im pretty sure im going to go with the Pentax *ist DL
    One of the reasons I thought you should keep the lenses is I am guessing the optics on those old primes are better than the kit lens you'll probably get with the *ist DL. The kit lens I used when I tested the original Pentax *ist D was pretty good, though. So maybe you'll be ok.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

If at all possible, spend the extra cash to get the 16-45 lens instead of the 18-55 or whatever it is. It's well worth the price.

And some of the older Pentax lenses are the best ever made, think twice before you sell off your older Penax lenses. The 135mm lens goes for more than the quote they gave you, but they need to mark it up to sell it. You'd get a whole lot more on ebay than at KEH.

Well guys, i made the stupid decission, and their gone. Yes, i probably got really ripped off, but its gone and done with, so there isnt anything else i can do, besides doing what i said before i would do, which is beating myself up for it. There is no "extra money" Im still $385 away from being able to purchase the camera, and that 385 means a long time for me. Thanks for all the input anyhow.

Thread Information