Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: 8 mp slr

8 mp slr

hi-I've been lurking for a long time and have finally registered-
    I am looking to purchase a 8 mp slr in the next month or so. The only camera that seems to even remotely come close to being a good fit is the Canon EOS-1D Mark II - I like everything about the sigma SD10 except the 3 mp part. Are there any rumors floating around of other companies upping their slr lines soon (mp and interface-specifically firewire - wise)? what I am looking for is :
    -at least 8mp
    -firewire connectivity
    -mac support
    -external flash (inc. strobes) capabilities
    -would prefer tiff file format
    -good interchangable lenses
    -true manual focus option
    -definitely less than 5 grand
    -solid reliable image quality

Well I think that pretty much sums it up. Is this wishful thinking? Anything out on the horizon that I have missed? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by gemio17
    hi-I've been lurking for a long time and have finally registered-
    I am looking to purchase a 8 mp slr in the next month or so. The only camera that seems to even remotely come close to being a good fit is the Canon EOS-1D Mark II - I like everything about the sigma SD10 except the 3 mp part. Are there any rumors floating around of other companies upping their slr lines soon (mp and interface-specifically firewire - wise)? what I am looking for is :
    -at least 8mp
    -firewire connectivity
    -mac support
    -external flash (inc. strobes) capabilities
    -would prefer tiff file format
    -good interchangable lenses
    -true manual focus option
    -definitely less than 5 grand
    -solid reliable image quality

Well I think that pretty much sums it up. Is this wishful thinking? Anything out on the horizon that I have missed? Thanks in advance.
    There are no 8mp SLRs except for the 1D Mark II.

Why do you need TIFF? RAW has smaller file sizes, same uncompressed quality, and the added benefit of being unprocessed, so you can adjust settings after the fact, unlike TIFF. TIFF is just all the bad, none of the good, except for the lack of compression, but even that can fall into the bda category due to file sizes.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

What are you using now? What is your intended goal? What are your photographic interests?

Except for the 8Mp, afaik all the current dslrs would meet your criteria. Why eight?

I'm confused by your post what you actually based your needs on? With such little information, it's hard to make a recomendation.

Mike

I'm a little confused too - almost any DSLR will do what you're looking for - except the 8mp resolution. The new Canon will be 8mp, and there are a couple others that are higher than that.

If it's print size you're worried about, a 6mp camera can do an impressive job. There are several that you could get two or three of for $5k, do everything you need it to do, and be able to make 30x40 prints from. I've got a Fuji S2 - you might want to check it out. It's got firewire connectivity and can be remotely controlled (completely) with a Mac. There's a new S3 coming out at some point, but you could probably get one of each for $5k!

Thread Information