Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Review: Is The Nikon D7100 The Best APS-C DSLR?

Community member and professional sports photographer Rob Norbutt (a.k.a. zerodog) just finished a full review of the Nikon D7100 for us. It's got a new 24-megapixel APS-C sensor with no anti-aliasiing filter and the same auto focus array as Nikon's top-of-the-line D4 full-frame camera. Read Rob's review to find out what he thinks of the camera:

Nikon D7100 Review >>

Does anyone here own a D7100? Are any of you considering buying one? What do you think? Does the D7100 measure up or not?

Review: Is The Nikon D7100 The Best APS-C DSLR?-nikon-d7100_angle.jpg
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Review: Is The Nikon D7100 The Best APS-C DSLR?

There are several interesting observations.

- the improved dynamic range is a reason to buy it
    - the limited buffer is a reason not to buy it. You never know when you're going to need to do a long burst. On 1st of May I had the opportunity to do an air display while on holiday and I was pleased to have the D300 with me
    - the autofocus that is not as good as the top pro models is difficult to explain but not surprising. When the French magazines tested the D300 against the D3 they came to the same conclusion.

Right now I have FX (D800) as main body. No question about the format - FX is here to stay and I have a rich collection of lenses to go with it. I use this most of the time.

I still have DX (D300) as my second body, usually with a very versatile lens (18-200). I really like the compactness of the system. The D300 body is hardly any smaller than the D800 but the 18-200 is much smaller than the equivalent for the D800 (28-300 - don't have it, seems to be too much of a compromise on FX). I use the second body for anything risky, including rain and most important - holidays.

So I'm still interested in DX format but the D7100 isn't for me. I might just wait for another 3 years till the D900 comes out then switch the D800 to second body with DX lenses. I rather like DX mode.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I've considered trading in my D7000 for the D7100, but definitely holding back for now--will probably wait for the next one, even if it's a couple of years. While I'm not too happy about noise with the D7000, once in awhile I want longer bursts of Raw, which doesn't look like a strength for the D7100.
    -Pam :idea:
    "There is more to life than increasing its speed. -- Mahatma Gandhi"

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Charles. I think the D7100 is a great choice for people who want a serious DSLR but don't need the performance or cost of an FX-format system. I am really amazed at the image quality Nikon has manage to get out of that sensor. I never thought I'd see useable ISO 6400 from an APS-C sensor camera. Even so, full-frame is still, and always will be, better.

I asked Nikon if this was a D300s replacement when they briefed me on the camera and they were predictably vague. So it's possible that there's a D400 in the works. There's definitely room for a pro-level DX body for sports and travel photographers and D7100's inadequate burst mode makes me feel that they could have another body in the works.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by pweb View Post
    I've considered trading in my D7000 for the D7100, but definitely holding back for now--will probably wait for the next one, even if it's a couple of years. While I'm not too happy about noise with the D7000, once in awhile I want longer bursts of Raw, which doesn't look like a strength for the D7100.
    I already got my D7100 and I can truly say that it is a major upgrade from the D7000. It is great for semi-pro and maybe even professional photographers with its features.

Quote Originally Posted by Peach Adamson View Post
    I already got my D7100 and I can truly say that it is a major upgrade from the D7000. It is great for semi-pro and maybe even professional photographers with its features.
    Congratulations on your new camera, Peach! Please write a review in our user reviews section. What kind of stuff are you photographing with it and what made you decide to buy it?
    Photo-John

Thank you very much for sharing =)

Gave my D7000 to my daughter last week. Will be picking up the D7100 tomorrow.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Got my D7100 today. Will be trying out soon :-)
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Thread Information