Jumped...

Printable View

• 10-09-2004, 05:16 AM
    Slow Learner
    Jumped...
    I've just made the jump to a digital SLR with the 20D and have a question about a feature I've gotten to like in the past but can't seem to find in this camera. I'm wondering if there is any way to achieve multiple exposures on a single frame? I could do it easily with my Rebel Ti film camera but can't seem to find it on my swanky new digital. I'm guessing it's not possible due to the logistics of taking a digital frame and then it gets stored away on a CF card but was hoping I just missed something.

If I can't do this in the camera, is there a way to easily create this effect in photoshop? Should I just get better at Layer Masks?

Thanks in advance,
    Ian
  • 10-09-2004, 08:09 AM
    Lionheart
    Re: Jumped...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slow Learner
    I've just made the jump to a digital SLR with the 20D and have a question about a feature I've gotten to like in the past but can't seem to find in this camera. I'm wondering if there is any way to achieve multiple exposures on a single frame? I could do it easily with my Rebel Ti film camera but can't seem to find it on my swanky new digital. I'm guessing it's not possible due to the logistics of taking a digital frame and then it gets stored away on a CF card but was hoping I just missed something.

If I can't do this in the camera, is there a way to easily create this effect in photoshop? Should I just get better at Layer Masks?

Thanks in advance,
    Ian

I don't know of any digital camera that can do multiple exposures. Yes this is something you would do in photoshop using the layers method. I used to do this on film once in a while but it was a pain to do. Much easier in photoshop ;)
  • 10-09-2004, 01:14 PM
    Lionheart
    Re: Layers
    The way I do it in PS is create a blank document, make sure it is sized to match the images you want to layer, or re-size the images to match the new document, which ever works for you. Then I open the images I want layered as separate docs, copy and paste them as new layers in the blank document. You can now adjust the different layers opacity to get the effect you want while editing each layer as needed to achieve the image you're looking for. When you're done, you can save it as a PSD to preserve the layers, or if you are happy with the final outcome, flatten or merge the layers and you can save it as any other format. I'm not sure, but I think you can save as a TIFF and maintain the layers, but maybe someone here can verify that.
  • 10-09-2004, 02:26 PM
    MJS
    Re: Jumped...
    You could also shoot a picture with some type of movement if you had a strobe that can fire repeatedly over a given exposure time.