Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

augmenting my equipment.

Well - I have been tinkering with the idea of augmenting my minolta 5D with another, more wide range lens. I currently have a 70-210 f4, an 18-70, and a 50 prime. but i was thinking about getting an 18-200 or 28-200 as well, because even though they wouldnt be on par with the quality of either of my other lens - i wouldnt have to change it - when im hiking steep hills in the mountain i dont exactly want to carry a bunch of lens with me. So i look at a minolta 18-200 3.5-6.3, gives me the equivalent of a 28-300. But then I saw the minolta Dimage a200 was clearanced out for $500. Ive been looking at augmenting my equipment with a second high-end point and shoot as well, for doing certain jobs - and the a200 is great because it will work with my flash.

for the SAME PRICE as the lens, i could just get the camera - and be more effective at what im trying to accomplish - no worry about getting dirt in my camera body when im climbing some mountains - I wouldnt even take the slr, if theres something i want to shoot with the SLR - i'll mark the spot and come back the next day better prepared. I just dont think its very easy to be a wandering adventurous mountain man with an SLR.

I really like the price and the camera - but Im torn between getting an all in one lens or the camera... hmmmm...

help is very appreciated!

Re: augmenting my equipment.

I think you answered your own question. The A200 with 28mm to 200mm with macro, stabilization and high quality video is great for travelling light with maximum flexibility.
    A friend has the A200 and the Canon 20D and sees very little difference between the two in normal lighting conditions.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    A friend has the A200 and the Canon 20D and sees very little difference between the two in normal lighting conditions.

Ronnoco
    Ah yes - absolutely. From what i can see the only real noticable difference between this and an SLR would be when you start upping th ISO.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

To me, it sounds like the point and shoot would be better suited for your hiking needs. Portability being one of the issues, I think another zoom on your SLR would still be a chunk to lug around. Additional cash outlay may be the same, but that 5D has got be a pretty penny on top of the cost of the zoom.

I use my wife's P&S when I'm out doing risky photography
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

ah but i allready have the 5D. thats what i was saying.... and i even have lens to cover the range - but id have to use 2 different, rather heavy lens to achieve the same focal range id get in the a200. lol - my 70-210 lens on its own is heavier then the a200...

yes they are better lens but im looking at more then twice the physical size - multiple pieces, and many times heavier.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Anbesol, sorry for the confusion. What I was trying to say is that it sounds like you will be taking a camera in not-the-nicest of environments so, in the event of a mishap like a fall, dunk, slide, or slam (beginning to sound like the Batman series), you'd be out the cost of both the lens and the 5D verses "just" the cost of the A200.

Plus, the thought of buying another zoom that has the same coverage of your existing zooms makes me cringe just a little You are going to end up with one possibly two lenses that you will never use.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Ah yes - absolutely. From what i can see the only real noticable difference between this and an SLR would be when you start upping th ISO.
    Certainly true, but the built in flash on the A200 gives you some flexibility, particularly with some of the menu adjustments such as over or under flash exposure, manual and back curtain sync.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    Anbesol, sorry for the confusion. What I was trying to say is that it sounds like you will be taking a camera in not-the-nicest of environments so, in the event of a mishap like a fall, dunk, slide, or slam (beginning to sound like the Batman series), you'd be out the cost of both the lens and the 5D verses "just" the cost of the A200.

Plus, the thought of buying another zoom that has the same coverage of your existing zooms makes me cringe just a little You are going to end up with one possibly two lenses that you will never use.
    ah yes, certainly true! another great point.

Ron - ah yes - better yet, ive allready got the 3600HS too!

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    ah yes, certainly true! another great point.

Ron - ah yes - better yet, ive allready got the 3600HS too!
    Great flash! I have the Sigma EF500 DG Super which I bought for the greater range , the fractional capability, and the up/down, right/left swivel and the LCD screen on the back is nice for flash info. too.

Ronnoco

Thread Information