Ir with 30d?

Printable View

• 05-11-2006, 02:00 PM
    tacit
    Ir with 30d?
    Is IR photography possible with the canon 30D?

I know it can be done using an R72 filter for the 20D, But is the 30D able to do it as well?

Thanks for the help
  • 05-11-2006, 07:42 PM
    masdog
    Re: Ir with 30d?
    As far as I know, it isn't possible. I believe most digital cameras have a filter in front of the sensor that blocks IR.

The 20Da is capable of shooting IR, though, as it is designed for astrophotography.
  • 05-12-2006, 03:07 AM
    mjs1973
    I just read in one of my photo mags that here is a company that will take you digital camera, and remove the IR filter. If you want to do a lot of IR work, it might be something worth looking into. It wasn't cheap tho. I think it was about $450, and voids your waranty. But then your stuck with an IR camera, unless you can get an IR filter to mount onto your lens. You can make a photo appear to be IR with post processing as well. A much cheaper alternative, and I have seen some pretty good results.
  • 05-12-2006, 02:19 PM
    SmartWombat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tacit
    Is IR photography possible with the canon 30D?
    I know it can be done using an R72 filter for the 20D, But is the 30D able to do it as well?
    Thanks for the help

A normal 20D or 30D (or any other DSLR) will be very inefficient capruting an IR image because it's decigned NOT to let IR to the image sensor !

The only camera off the shelf that is capable of IR is the Cnaon 20Da - A for Astronomy.
    That camera has the IR filter in front of the image sensor removed.
    So it would be great for IR photography, whether celestial or earth bound.
    You can use it for normal photography with an IR filter (that's IR cut, not IR pass) on the lens.

Several websites show how to remove the filter from a Nikon DSLR, but of course you remove your warranty too. There was also one about removing the lens coatings, as they filter the IR as well, and how difficult that is on modern lenses !

It depends whether you want to use your camera mostly for IR, or mostly for normal images I suppose.
  • 05-14-2006, 04:56 AM
    tacit
    heh I thought that that might be the case. Wishful thinking on my part. Thanks for the answers.

Getting the IR filter taken out (and thus voiding the waranty) doesnt seem like too good an idea heh. WIll just play around with post procesing or perhaps look into getting a traditional slr for the job.

Thanks again :)
  • 05-14-2006, 06:06 AM
    mjs1973
    4 Attachment(s)
    Here is a site that has a IR conversion plug that's free to download. Here is a quick sample image of what it does. There are 7 slider adjustments in this tool, so you can make some changes to the image to get the look you want. I left everything at the default settings for this image.

Another easy way to simulate IR is by creating a channel mixer adjustment layer. In the adjustment layer box, click on monotone, then adjust the sliders to get the look you want. Moving the green slider to the right brightens up your creens, and the blue slider to the left will darken your skys. The second set of images here were done with the channle mixer.

I'm not saying these are great IR conversions, but then again, they didn't cost me any $ or the waranty on my camera either. :)