Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Use of the aperture ring... ancient history?

Hi folks:

Quick question for DSLR users: When in Manual mode, do any DSLR's out there actually allow you to use the aperture ring on the lens to select f/stops or do DSLRs just depend on buttons/dials to select the f/stop?

Thanks in advance,
    Arby
    Phattire.net
    Baltimore cycling as a subculture

Re: Use of the aperture ring... ancient history?

The Pentax DSLR's have have to use the apeture ring on K and M lenses, not to mention any M42 screw mount lenses that you put on with an adapter.

These lenses have no means of communicating electronically with the camera, so there's no way to set the apteture via the camera. They become, in effect, apeture priority, since the camera can't change the apeture.

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Nikon DSLRs when using non-CPU lenses also require use of the aperture ring, and on most bodies that offer AI lens metering (non-CPU: D1 series, D2 series, D200) you can enable the aperture ring when using CPU-equipped lenses equipped with one for Aperture priority and manual modes.

On the later ones (not the original D1, but definitely on the D2 and d200 lines) it will default back to command dial control when the lens is not equipped with an aperture ring.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Arby, I had to make a decision last year whether to start over with Nikon or continue with Canon. I came this close to going with Nikon solely because some of their lenses still have that ring.

I shoot manual everything virtually all the time and changing apertures with my thumb still doesn't feel natural to me.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

I haven't used the aperture ring since I got a Nikon F100 four or five years ago. Using the sub command dial (think that's what it's called, the one below the shutter release that you control with your index finger) seemed natural to me and I have been doing it this way ever since. Turning that feature off is just a custom setting away, but you won't have partial stops (1/3 or 1/2) in A or M mode by using the ring.

Some of my favorite old lenses are ancient K and M Pentax lenses. On the newer cameras, there's no choice - the only way to control the apeture is with the ring. You're stuck with it whether or not you like it, they were made before lenses had electronic contacts.

They work really well, you basically are stuck with manual or apeture priority mode. The canera has no way to control the lens apeture.

These are really old lenses. The A and later series can be controlled from the camera body or the ring, your choice.

At least you can still use them.

I suspect that newer lenses will probably tend more and more to be controlled by the camera body, it's a cost-saving measure.

Thread Information