Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Which lens for my D70s (details inside)

after alot of research into dSLR cameras and what not ive decided upon a nikon D70s. Now i need to figure out which lens to get. Basicaly I'm looking to do alot of architectural and landscaping photography, so my first thought was i needed to look into a zoom lens so i can take paterns out the sides of buildings but also be able to capture the whole building with the same lens. So I began to look at lenses and came across the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 XR di lens. Now my question is, am i making the right choice by getting this lens or should i possibly look into a different type of lens or a different zoom lens.

An enthusiastic amateur.

Re: Which lens for my D70s (details inside)

Remember the conversion is 1.5x, so that Tamron will not be very wide at all.

I use the Nikon 18-70 DX, it's an awesome lens that I wish was a little wider.

Specifically for digital (DX), Nikon also makes a 10 mm 2.8 and a 12-24, but not much zoom here, so maybe your best bet is the 18-70, and you could get a teleconverter to bump up the zoom when you need it.

The D70s is a great camera, good luck.

--Brian

A friend has the Tamron 28-75 and is very happy with it, but it's not wide at all. With architecture, you're probably going to want something very wide - like the 12-24, but it's fairly expensive. The 10.5 is a fisheye lens, but you can "straighten it out" with Nikon Capture.

If you are really serious about doing architectural, me thinks you will want a dedicated wide-angle zoom that does not have much distortion at the edges. Sorry, but it's just hard to get one lens to do it all.

I have the Nikor 18-70 and just love it. Parallel lines do diverge at the edges when I shoot wide, and correcting in software is difficult when it comes to trying to make distorted lines look straight.

BR,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Thread Information