Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Indoor Sports Photography

Hey everyone - ok, so I just recently got a D200 Digital SLR with a 300mm to photograph my high school sporting events. I have no problem with taking pictures outdoors, but when I go into the Gym to takes pictures of the Basketball game or to the Hockey rink i have problems. Ive tried playing around with the light settings but nothing seems to be helping. I think i need to change the aperature(sp?) setting so I can take phos with withis A and M modes, but im not sure how to do this.
    Can someone please help me out? because i also photograph at the wasingtoncapitals games as well and i would really like to get some nice shots when i go to the game tomorrow night and next saturday.
    thank you so much! and you can also contact me at jesssdragons@aol.com to answer my question.

Jessica.

Oh - does anyone know a larger decent lens size (larger than my current one) to purchase or look into purchasing for this camera? or any other advice that you would be willing to give cause im still a rookie at this. thank you

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Indoor Sports Photography

Here is a link to the Photography Exposure Guide in the learn section of this site:

http://www.photographyreview.com/exposureguidecrx.aspx

This is a short and sweet lesson on photography basics such as shutter speeds and aperatures as your post inquires about.

That being said, you may want to try putting the camera in A mode and dialing it to a small aperature number. Also you will probably need to increase the ISO number as well.

Good luck and welcome to the photographyreview forums!

Thread Information