Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

advice on this camera

Canon EOS Rebel T1i 15.1MP Digital SLR Camera
    Sorry i am starting my photography classes but i want to get a camera as a long term investment...
    If this camera is not that great suggest few more

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: advice on this camera

The T1i is a fine camera, as are all of the DLSR's currently being offered from all of the major companies.

If you're looking for a long term investment, I would suggest taking a good look at what type of photography you want to do. Then once you figure that out, take a look at what lenses you are going to want in the future. Keep in mind that you are buying into a complete system, not just a camera.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Mike is correct, but I would like to suggest that you start with a used 35 mm "FILM" SLR camera, they are reasonably cheap, That way you will learn more about the craft. The basic photography classes at Pensacola Junior College requires their students to learn on a MANUAL 35mm camera, before transitioning to a DSLR. If you start with almost any system other than the old Canon FD mount most of your lenses will work on a Digital of the same brand. If you decide to not continue with film you should be able to sell your basic system to one of the next batch of students.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

For a long term investment you'd be better off looking into the Canon 40D or 50D, they offer more solid build, and more on-the-fly usability that does not inhibit your field shooting experience, the rebel will have more functions and interactivity buried in menu. For a hobbyist investment the rebel is fine and dandy but for more serious use I'd recommend the 40/50D.

I disagree about starting on a manual focus camera. There is nothing inherently better about manual focus cameras that teach you the craft better than a digital. The reason they encourage starting on it is so you are forced to learning the discipline rather then taking the easy shortcuts that digital allows. But everything you can learn on an old manual film camera you can learn on a digital, if properly disciplined. Just dont use the dummy modes (anything that isn't M, Av and Tv) and do your homework.

Thread Information