Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

I pulled trigger on 70D

Last minute shopping for Christmas and I saw 70D body for $949.
    Will report back after I test out the new camera.
    Last edited by Photo-John; 12-16-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Re: I pulled trigger on 70D

Quote Originally Posted by weihong View Post
    Last minute shopping for Christmas and I saw 70D body for $949.
    Will report back after I test out the new camera.
    Congratulations on the new camera! I've been using my EOS 70D a ton and I am very pleased. I do wish Canon's APS-C sensors were competitive with Nikon, Pentax and Sony. But the camera's overall performance is great - especially when you compare the price to the EOS 7D. I have been shooting with my 7D and the 70D at the same time and there are only a few 7D features I really miss. And the 70D more than makes up for those with the tilt-swivel LCD display, the video auto focus and the built-in Wi-Fi.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Congratulations on the new camera! I've been using my EOS 70D a ton and I am very pleased. I do wish Canon's APS-C sensors were competitive with Nikon, Pentax and Sony. But the camera's overall performance is great - especially when you compare the price to the EOS 7D. I have been shooting with my 7D and the 70D at the same time and there are only a few 7D features I really miss. And the 70D more than makes up for those with the tilt-swivel LCD display, the video auto focus and the built-in Wi-Fi.
    There is an irony where some associates and I jumped on Canon's system in mid 2000's because of superior sensors, and I used to think Nikons had an edge for handling. In days of metal cameras and film I liked my wife's compact Olympus body for easy to use. Now I really like Canon's menus, physical handling, and anybody who gets a large print doesn't seem to complain about my camera sensor.

I'm sure the future may bring new sensors to Canon. For the moment I'm happier than expected with my decision to add 18-135 STM and shotgun mic with the 70D.

Yeah, the Canon APS-C sensors aren't bad or anything. But the reality is, the APS-C sensors in Sony, Nikon, Fujifilm and Pentax cameras are a stop or more better. For most shooting it doesn't matter much. But for low-light people or sports photos it does make a difference. I'd love to be able to shoot at ISO 3200 with my EOS 7D or 70D but it's just not up to par - at least not for me.

I sure hope Canon steps up and improves their APS-C sensors because if they don't, I think they're going to start seeing people abandon their low to mid-range DSLRs for greener pastures. Not to mention the fact that mirrorless cameras are going to take over for most entry-level and mid-range users. People just don't realize how good they are, yet.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Hello,
    I am a newbie to photography, After comparing both 700D and 70D I am considering to jump into 70D, will this be a too big leap for a starter into photography world?

Not really.
    Please also consider that the lens matters. It is better to save a bit on camera body but get the best possible high-speed lens (f1.4–2) to get the real taste of dslr.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyCam View Post
    Not really.
    Please also consider that the lens matters. It is better to save a bit on camera body but get the best possible high-speed lens (f1.4–2) to get the real taste of dslr.
    Thanks, After some research I am thinking of choosing 50mm f/1.4 and either 17-50/55mm F/2.8mm.

Slightly confused which brand to choose for the lens. Kinda narrowed down to Sigma for 50mm lens (is canon better than Sigma in 50mm), where as for 17-50 unsure whether to go for Sigma/Tamron lenses. Any suggestions

I own the Tamron 17-50 and it's a very good lens. Bought it off of ebay new under $400. This is a shot with it on a 60D. My three grandgirls.

Grandgirls
    by Bill_in_Texas, on Flickr

Thread Information