• 08-21-2006, 06:00 PM
    Jayroi
    I know you've heard this before....
    Hey guys, i'm brand new to the forums and basically photography itself. I've always liked photography but I'm starting to actually finally get into it. I'm looking at cameras to buy and i've decided on the Nikon D50. My question was just basically, where the cheapest place to get it is. Wether or not I should just get the body itself and buy a different lens or just buy the basic set that comes with the basic 28mm - 80mm. I'm just trying to jump into photography so i'm going to be taking a lot of different types of pictures. Mostly outdoor shots and shots of people. Let me know!

-jayrol
  • 08-22-2006, 01:37 PM
    Norfindel
    Re: I know you've heard this before....
    I think that the d50 kit has the 18-55... 28-80 is too long for a standard lense dSLR with 1.5 crop factor.
    I would buy the kit, get familiar with the focal lengths, apertures, etc, and then buy a tele/wide angle lense if needed.
  • 08-22-2006, 07:12 PM
    Nikonmutt
    If you can get it, go withthe 18-70. It's the kit lens from the D70. I use it and am impressed with it.

The cheapest is often a scam shop. Stick with B&H, Adorama, buydig.com Check carefully with resellerratings.com Shopping by price alone is a sure way to disaster.
  • 08-26-2006, 10:23 AM
    photofun
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikonmutt
    If you can get it, go withthe 18-70. It's the kit lens from the D70. I use it and am impressed with it.

The cheapest is often a scam shop. Stick with B&H, Adorama, buydig.com Check carefully with resellerratings.com Shopping by price alone is a sure way to disaster.

I got mine from ritzcamera.com for $500 after a $50 rebate. Kit included quantaray lens, battery and charger. (Since I have bought all new lenses, I will be selling the quantaray lens with my old N65 and 28-200 lens as well.