Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

new *ist DL... hot pixels everywhere.

I just got my new *ist DL last night. I noticed that there seemed to be a hot pixel or a cluster of hot pixels in many of the images.

Today, diving a bit mroe into a the problem I disable noise reduction and take soem more photos which will cause hot pixels to show up. here are the results...

http://www.vulc4n.com/images/test3.jpg
    http://www.vulc4n.com/images/hicont.jpg

The second photo has increased contrast, but as you can see the hot pixels are in the exact same spots in both.

What to do now? Is this just a fluke or am I more or less garunteed to get hot /dead pixels with every *ist DL? I don't want to start into the game of sending the camera back to get one that is just as bad.

Re: new *ist DL... hot pixels everywhere.

well, I've discovered that there are pretty much no issues with hot pixels under iso 800. There are atleast 2 very obvious hot pixels at iso 1600, and at iso 3200 things really get bad with 10 or so consistent hot pixels.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Sounds plausible.
    When there's enough light, the signal in the sensor pixels is enough that relative ot the noise it's so large you can't see the noise.
    As you use higher and higher ISO, the camera lets in less light, the noise gets to be more prominent and you see the spots.
    I had similar results with the Minolta A2 compared ot the A1, smaller pixels, 8MP vs 5MP on the same size sensor, more noise at higher ISO..
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I guess my question is...
    is this normal for this camera? I've talked to two of my friends who are profesional photographers and they said that they have never seen a problem like this and that I should return the camera. At the same tiem a couple peopel have told me I'm lucky thats all I have. I'm kinda confused/lost because I never heard of this problem before I got the camera.

I have discovered that with noise reduction disabled I can get some hot pixels to show at iso 200 as well. I love the abbilities this camera has, but I'm totaly bumed about the problem. I'm not sure what to do , becuase replacign the camera or having it fixedp retty much garuntees loosign camera for weeks.

EDIT: I did soem moe experimenting, and with noise reduction disabled the camera will produce some hot pixels even at ISO 200 once the exposure time hits 1/4s.
    Last edited by Vulcan; 08-23-2006 at 05:55 PM.

Thread Information