• 10-11-2005, 05:44 PM
    davelondon
    I have a problem with my DSLR
    Recently I was using my camera; I turned it off as I had finished using it, I then turned it back on 2 days later, expecting it to work correctly. I took a photo and the image is shown on the LCD as a black image, no colour etc, pure black image.

I placed the memory card in my pc, and checked the image on my computer, it was also black on the computer, so obviously not a problem with the LCD, I changed the memory card, as I thought it could possibly be a faulty memory card, I had the same problem, I also tried new batteries, lenses and so on. I also placed an image on my memory card on my pc, a full correct image with colour etc, not taken by my S2 Pro, I inserted the memory card into my camera, and the image displayed correctly, as if any other image normally would, this rules out any problems with the LCD display. So the problem must be from when the camera actually takes a photo and processes the image.

Any ideas thanks alot in advanced!!!
  • 10-11-2005, 06:58 PM
    Michael Fanelli
    Re: I have a problem with my DSLR
    Quote:

Originally Posted by davelondon
    Recently I was using my camera; I turned it off as I had finished using it, I then turned it back on 2 days later, expecting it to work correctly. I took a photo and the image is shown on the LCD as a black image, no colour etc, pure black image.

I placed the memory card in my pc, and checked the image on my computer, it was also black on the computer, so obviously not a problem with the LCD, I changed the memory card, as I thought it could possibly be a faulty memory card, I had the same problem, I also tried new batteries, lenses and so on. I also placed an image on my memory card on my pc, a full correct image with colour etc, not taken by my S2 Pro, I inserted the memory card into my camera, and the image displayed correctly, as if any other image normally would, this rules out any problems with the LCD display. So the problem must be from when the camera actually takes a photo and processes the image.

Any ideas thanks alot in advanced!!!

Assuming you didn't shoot with the lens cap on (don't laugh, it does happen), you have pretty much done what you can. It sounds like a trip to Fuji is in your DSLR's future.
  • 10-12-2005, 06:28 AM
    another view
    This was just announced as a known problem. They're not calling it a recall because it won't affect too many cameras (according to them!) but as an S2 owner myself, it makes me a little nervous. From the sounds of it, you might need the sensor replaced - but the good news is that they might be footing the bill.

Here's a link to some info posted in another forum on this site. First is the Sony info, and the Fuji info is after that. I was always under the impression that Fuji made their own CCD's, but apparently there's a tie with Sony somewhere.
  • 10-12-2005, 02:25 PM
    davelondon
    many thanks for all your replies, the problem has been put down to the CCD/SENSOR going. Its being sent to fuji tomorrow, where they agreed to fix it free of charge, a result. Thanks!
  • 10-12-2005, 02:54 PM
    another view
    I'm glad for you that this was just announced. Had it happened two months ago, the bill might not have been paid by Fuji since it was out of warranty (but I have heard some were fixed for free before the announcement). Also, since it's happening right after the announcement, the repair center is probably not flooded with repairs so you should get it back fairly soon.

Glad to hear they're taking care of the problem! :D As a fellow S2 owner, I'm a little concerned about this happening to me. Did it just happen one day? Everything was fine, then next time you shot with it, you had a black screen? Or were there any signs of trouble before it failed?
  • 10-12-2005, 04:30 PM
    davelondon
    Alright... Yeah they was helpful, I'm 17 and in the UK... I rung them up he said to go to their website, and pre book it into their repair center and post it to them and it wil all be sorted. Very helpful!

Yes it happend quickly, one day I was taking photos, perfect photos, all working fine, I turned it off, trurned it back on 2 days later, took a photo, the image was black with white patches in the image, took more photos turned it on and off, then finally the image was completely black. From when i turned it on and the complete black image, it took about 2 minutes.. about 10 photos..

Apperantly tell tail signs are, blurly images, (no its not your photo taking skills) and white patches on the photo, and obviously, full black images like mine!
  • 10-19-2005, 05:30 AM
    davelondon
    Just letting you know, I have recieved my camera back now, I was just over a week. Fully working, they replaced the CCD free of charge. :)
  • 10-19-2005, 07:54 PM
    another view
    That's great, glad to hear they took care of you quickly!