Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

I can only buy one lens...

I have a Nikon d40 and am currently using only the 18-55mm lens that came along with it and I really need to upgrade. Actually I should have a long time ago, but money and time just got in the way.... My original choice for another lens was bigger zoom - and I was about to order this one:

Nikon Zoom Normal-Telephoto 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus
    - used for $189 or $159 without hood.

But then I stumbled on this one:

Nikon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus used one for $199

I really cant spend much more than $200 right now, and it may be awhile before I can buy another lens. I'm thinking maybe the 18-135 might be an all around better choice for me - I could sell the 18-55 and just have one lens - not mess with switching them out. I wouldnt have as much zoom, but far more than I have now. I primarily photograph my family, do my own portraits, sports (kids) photos etc. Anything else I should consider?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by chocolic; 06-03-2009 at 07:57 AM. Reason: typo

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: I can only buy one lens...

I had the 18-135 for two years and did most of my shooting with it.
    I think it is an under rated lens but you should look at reviews.
    The one problem I ever had was with vignetting at f/3.5 when at or below 24mm.
    Once I figured that out I was able to avoid it or even use it if I wanted to.
    Its a great walk around lens imo
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

boo its gone. thanks for the advice tho! I might go for this one - but my husband is mad my price keeps creeping up. The macro is appealing - that's one thing I miss from my old setup - a close second to the deep zoom.

Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II Macro Lens for Nikon Digital SLR

ok so the tamron does not have the AV like hte nikon. but it does have more zoom and macro. Also a rebate and ebates right now would only be about $20 more than the nikon would have been if i could have gotten it. So about $220 when it is all said and done.

I've been researching all afternoon and would like to make a decision in the next couple of days. Are there any good places for refurbs I'm missing where I might be able to get a little more bang for the buck??

Thanks!

Personally I wouldn't buy a lens that won't autofocus on your D40.
    It really doesn't have true macro...just a setting that lets you focus closer.
    Cameta, KEH, B&H, Adorama all have used and/or refurbished and ratings such as like new, surface ding, or something like that.
    Tell your husband to remember that you will probably be selling the 18-55 for a hundred plus probably
    Keep Shooting!

Yeah i want one that autofocuses... and I thought this one did... the description says "NOTE: This new lens has a buit-in motor and as such is perfectly compatible with the D40, D40X and D60 bodies." So, I took that as it would autofocus... what do I need to look for to make sure it does?

If it does have its own motor and the ad says it does, then it does.
    Make sure you check the dealer feedback forum before buying online.
    Keep Shooting!

I don't have the Nikon 18-55 but I'm interested in it. People usually don't like it (because of the feel of the lens?) but all the reports say it has excellent performance. It's simple, well-made and doesn't try to do too much. Ken Rockwell explains it here (I hesitate to recommend anyone listening to Ken Rockwell but this time it sounds sensible):

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1855.htm

If I were you I would keep the 18-55 - you won't get anything for it if you try to sell it - and add a second simple lens, a 55-200mm telezoom. The obvious choice is the Nikon version but I bought the Sigma a couple of months ago when I had a problem with my 18-200 on holiday. I rather like it and it's only $149. Just make sure you get the HSM version that has the auto-focus motor built-in so it will autofocus with your D40

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...m_f_4_5_6.html
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

thanks everyone. all great advice I'll definitely be sure to check out all those options!

Thread Information