Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

How often do you clean your DLSR?

Part of the extended warranty I'm considering comes with cleaning, where I can bring the camera in to get cleaned as often as I'd like. I've never cleaned a camera before, but then I've never had a DSLR before. How often do you clean your DSLR's? And do you pay to do it, or do it yourself? I'm just wondering if the cleaning is really worth it.

I know I am asking a ton of questions, but I thank you all so much for all your feedback. I really appreciate it!
    Amanda - Full-time mom, part-time picture-taker

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: How often do you clean your DLSR?

I clean whenever the dust gets in the way of my photos.
    And I have enough time for it to be done in between race meetings.

I use a blower bulb to shift the easiest stuff myself.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Like SW said - a rocket blower is all I have ever needed on the 5D, AE 1. Its simple to do.

I only do it when dust becomes a real problem.

Wouldn't trust a store to do this for me.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Judging by my latest batch of photos, not often enough!!! I have never had it cleaned "professionally" but like the others have said, a good Rocket Blower like this will take care of most of the dust on the sensor.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_Blower_.html

This is the best $10 I have spent on photography equipment.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

I clean mine when it needs it. If I goto the ocean, I'll usually wipe down the body & lenses to get the salty air stuff off. Or when I have a big shoot coming up, I'll pull all the gear out, charge batteries, look at lenses to see if they're dusty/dirty, and clean them then. I'll also usually clean off the sensor as well if it needs it.

To clean the sensor I try to blow the dust off, and if that doesn't work I pull out my Visible Dust stuff and clean it
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

As often as needed

I assume you're talking about the sensor. I clean mine whenever I note I have obvious splodges on the images. Usually it's about once a year. The worst case was twice in a week. I do it myself. I take a test shot before and after cleaning to make sure I've really improved things. Sometimes it takes three goes to get the thing really perfect.

I use sensor swabs
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

drg

The more you change lenses typically the more need to clean the sensor. A blower (NEVER COMPRESSED AIR) will take most dust off the sensor and I blast out the camera every time I remove or change a lens. The sensor I usually clean with a Rocket Blower at the end of a long day before putting everything away.

If the problems gets too bad, get someone to help you the first time you use a swab/solution/pad cleaning option. And assume you have bad batteries or the power may go off while the shutter is open and take precautions. Use an A/C adapter, fresh batteries and if possible with an adapter a UPS-Uninterruted Power Source. Then if the power glitches, you won't break your shutter.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thread Information