Hi all - Advice needed

Printable View

• 02-08-2007, 12:30 PM
    robfosters
    Hi all - Advice needed
    Hi everyone.

My names Rob and I am based in the UK.

I found this site while looking around for a new camera, so thought I might register and ask for advice.

I have been doing some casual shooting over the last year with a Sony W17 camera. However, I never really got on with it and it has now broke. I would rather get a new one that go through all the rigmarole of getting it repaired.

I have decided to go on to an DSLR as I think I will shoot more if the camera is easily accessible round my neck rather then tucked up in a case in my pocket. It will also encourage me to delve deeper into the subject.

My friend has shown me his Nikon D200 and I was very impressed. However, that is a bit too expensive for what I do. To let you know, I take photos of junior sports events for local magazines, holiday photos (I normally get away from the family for a day just to take photos) and I also take photos when I go sea fishing at various marks throughout the UK. Stops me getting bored! But my little Sony has served me well so far, but I need more :D

So, after the introduction, what I am basically asking is, what DSLR at around 400-600 pounds ($800-1200) would you recommend. I don't think there is much price variety in cameras between the UK and US. I was thinking about the Canon EOS 400D. Good camera, or are there better alternatives.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thx
  • 02-08-2007, 04:58 PM
    SmartWombat
    Re: Hi all - Advice needed
    I want to get my hands on one, but I think it's pretty good from the specs.
    I'm biased because I have 3 canons already :)
    But I like the anti-dust measures and wish my 20D had them !

I wouldn't take it fishing, as it's not as waterproof as the 1D pro bodies.
    But then I wouldn't take £2-4,000 of body to sea either :o
    Photo-John was reviewing some waterproof, shockproof cameras that he uses for biking that might be good for going to sea...

You may end up with two cameras eventually, unless you're braver with your SLR than I am !
  • 02-08-2007, 05:54 PM
    robfosters
    Thanks,

I understand what your saying about fishing and the waterproof factor. However, I will just train myself into following a procedure where I pack the camera away in a seperate case away from any water.

The beach fishing I do is pretty handy as the fish hook themselves and you don't have to run to a rod once they bite to get em in. That gives me time to put the camera away safely.

I tell you, some of the rock marks I fish down the south coast and especially when I do Cornwall are absolutely astounding. The US photographers on here would absolutely love it. I'm not saying they have'nt got their own great places because they have, but their is something very special about a sunset over a Cornish fishing village or rocky outcrop fishing spot.
  • 02-09-2007, 03:29 PM
    SmartWombat
    Yes, I love Cornwall from when I was a kid down there in the summers.

If you're taking care, then the 400D is splash proof it it's like my 20D
    I've actually got that wet enough to need towelling dry and it worked no problem.
    It wouldn't survive a wave though.
    And your lens, if it's not an 'L' series is likely to get inundated first I think.

Even my 100-400L didn't survive a thunderstorm...