• 05-22-2007, 12:58 PM
    Abz
    Help! What camera should I buy?!
    Hello..I really hope someone out there can help me?! I am in the process of choosing a new digital SLR. I currently have a LUMIX DMC-FZ5 with a Leica lens and I have found this to be my perfect first DSLR. It has a good 12x optical zoom, 6MP and it has many good settings/functions that are easy to use. However, now that I have become more competent and confident I want a new challenge! I have started to become frustrated with myself and the camera for various reasons. Even though I have a macro lens/setting I still can't go as close to the subject as I would like without it blurring etc..Also the apperture range is pretty pants too! It is perfect for a point and shoot camera but to get really really stunning photos.......I think I need a new one!!!!

It was suggested that I should look at the Nikon D40 and the Canon EOS 400D which I did. The Nikon has 3x optical zoom (less than I have now) but it did have good reviews. The Canon didn't have very good reviews, apparently the photos it takes aren't great colour wise and need enhancing on the computer. My other concern was that I didn't feel either of the cameras were much of a step up from what I have now and I wonder if I will become equally frustrated with them.

I guess what I am looking for is a camera that takes great portraits, close ups, more apperture range, quick response, various settings for when I am feeling lazy e.g. snow, fireworks, black and white, sepia, and an sd card if possible because I have loads.

I am not worried about it being bulky as I have my LUMIX for everyday stick it in my handbag days! I am looking at spending around £400-£500.
    Many thanks for taking the time to read my blurb. I would appreciate any advice possible.
  • 05-23-2007, 10:44 AM
    dante
    Re: Help! What camera should I buy?!
    Quote:

It was suggested that I should look at the Nikon D40 and the Canon EOS 400D which I did. The Nikon has 3x optical zoom (less than I have now) but it did have good reviews. The Canon didn't have very good reviews, apparently the photos it takes aren't great colour wise and need enhancing on the computer. My other concern was that I didn't feel either of the cameras were much of a step up from what I have now and I wonder if I will become equally frustrated with them.
    all of what you are referring to (3x zoom, etc) are based on the LENS. with a DSLR (which your Lumix is not), you are able to change lenses for either better quality or various shooting situations (such as telephoto zooms, etc). most dslrs (including the canon) will take accurate color photographs, and if you want to bump them up to look better, then you have to do that in post processing. honestly, a DSLR is good since it allows you to have so much more control over the entire picture taking process. if you're "feeling lazy" I'd probably suggest sticking with your Lumix, as a DSLR is far more intricate, and takes far more effort to turn out good photos (but when you do so it does blow away point & shoot pics).
  • 05-24-2007, 06:40 PM
    Frog
    I can find good reveiws for both of those cameras.
    Always read reviews with a grain of salt and consider where they come from.
    Dante is correct in that you are confusing dslr with point and shoot.
    The d40 does not have 3x optical zoom. It has the zoom power of whatever lens you put on it.
  • 06-09-2007, 02:42 AM
    pympster
    You will find that The cannon, nikon, olympus etc will pretty much be at the same level in terms of quality. I found that all the main manufactureres introductory cameras are pretty much the same! I went for a cannon Eos 350D, I was able to produce pretty good shots with the stock lenses. Whatever you do, I would recomend choosing a brand and sticking with it, because if you choose to purchase extra lenses they will not work on another make, but If you buy another camera made by the same, the same lense will work! Yes as everyone else has said, it does depend on the lens! There are specific macro and zoom lenses! Each do "exactly what they say on the tin!" Welcome to the forum btw!