Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Help with SLR Zoom Lenses

I am having a small problem with SLR Zoom Lenses and their Zoom / Magnification range.
    Can't get my head to work on this one.:mad2:
    My Sony H10 has 10X or 10 Zoom ( Simple )
    I am considering buying a Sony A 330 SLR.
    I like to ZOOM for wild life and nature photogrphy.
    So what lense and lense numbers do I need for 50X or 50 Zoom. or 100X 100 Zoom

Thanks in advance.

Re: Help with SLR Zoom Lenses

The 'x' just tells you the range of the zoom, not the actual zoom (focal length). A 10-100mm and a 50-500mm are both 10x. The H10 uses a 38-380mm equivalent lens - equivalent to what you would see in a full frame of a 35mm film camera. I don't know the size of the sensor to say what the actual focal length is (the smaller the sensor, the larger the subject appears).

It is much easier and cheaper to build lenses for the small sensors in a P&S than it is for a DSLR, so you are not going to find that kind of range with good quality nearly as cheap. Until recently, all good zooms for DSLRs were about 3x. Now, they are making decent lenses with a range of 10x. But remember, you will pay for the range with image quality/speed, size/weight and price. (By speed, I mean the ability to work in lower light levels.)

What is your budget? There are many ways to go including used, third party and Sony lenses. Keep in mind that many of the nature shots you see here are taken with lenses that cost $thousands. Then again, many are shot with the kit lens that comes with the camera - it's just harder.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    It is much easier and cheaper to build lenses for the small sensors in a P&S than it is for a DSLR, so you are not going to find that kind of range with good quality nearly as cheap. Until recently, all good zooms for DSLRs were about 3x. Now, they are making decent lenses with a range of 10x. But remember, you will pay for the range with image quality/speed, size/weight and price. (By speed, I mean the ability to work in lower light levels.)

What is your budget? There are many ways to go including used, third party and Sony lenses. Keep in mind that many of the nature shots you see here are taken with lenses that cost $thousands. Then again, many are shot with the kit lens that comes with the camera - it's just harder.

TF
    Thanks for the Reply OldClicker
    My budget is under $ 800.00 The A330 will eat up $ 400.00 ( I Think ) so that leaves me
    $ 400.00 for a lense. I suspect $ 400.00 is not much.
    My second option get a good P&S with a good Zoom ( 20X )
    and build/buy a lense.
    A question. How difficult is it to build a lense for a P&S

Fred..

Quote Originally Posted by 440GTX
    Thanks for the Reply OldClicker
    My budget is under $ 800.00 The A330 will eat up $ 400.00 ( I Think ) so that leaves me
    $ 400.00 for a lense. I suspect $ 400.00 is not much.
    My second option get a good P&S with a good Zoom ( 20X )
    and build/buy a lense.
    A question. How difficult is it to build a lense for a P&S

Fred..
    I would say impossible to build anything near what you could buy in a $100 P&S. Maybe I'm not understanding the question???

For $800, I would get the A330 with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and find used copies of:
    Minolta 70-210mm f/4 ~$175
    Minolta 35-70mm f/4 ~$50

Ritz currently has the A330 w Kit Lens for $550 minus 10% through Bing Cashback. You might be able to find it for less. Total= $720.

A Minolta 50mm f/1.7 for ~$100 would put you a little over, but would give you some good low light shots.

Search for posts by DonSchap (or page him) as he knows the third party lenses and may have something you would like better.

About the A330. It's strengths are the in-body stabilization, the fast focus Live View and the new 'learn as you go' menu system. If these are not important, this may not be the best choice in a body.

TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    I would say impossible to build anything near what you could buy in a $100 P&S. Maybe I'm not understanding the question???

For $800, I would get the A330 with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and find used copies of:
    Minolta 70-210mm f/4 ~$175
    Minolta 35-70mm f/4 ~$50

TF
    Thanks again for the reply.
    I am seriously thinking of taking this for a 14 day test drive.
    14 day full money back if you are NOT satisfied
    http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/...6&ProductTab=3
    Worst case. I don't like it NO LOSS
    OR I don't like the Zoom Lense.and return it. Keep the A300 for $ 500.00
    Shop around for a 200 to 300 mm lense. Your suggestions or Don Schap

Give it a try and see how it feels. I don't know that you will be able to get good enough to know much else about it in 14 days though. Took me months before I knew enough of what was going on to decide to switch from Canon to Sony.

The 75-300mm is probably the second in number of complaints (#1 would be the kit lens because nearly everyone has one). I think it gets a bad rap because the expectations are way too high. People think that they can buy a (relatively) cheap 300mm lens and stand on the sidewalk and get good images of that spec out in the field a hundred yards away. That won't work even with a $6000 300 f/2.8.

Good luck and post some shots.

TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Thread Information